Salvia Divinorum: My First Trip Podcast (Part Two, The Actual Smoking)

In reaction to a great deal of speculation, warning and hype, I’ve decided it’s time to try out Salvia Divinorum, a legal hallucinogen that you can find at a number of head shops in the United States. So last night I recorded a podcast as I inhaled ten sets of two inhalations of salvia leaves. Today, I’m sharing the proceedings with you — not with the intention of offering a definitive or even representative experience, but just as one person’s experienced, neither hyped up into some mystical thingamajig nor blown out of proportion by scare tactics.

So click here for part two of the salvia divinorum podcast, in which I stop talking about reasoning, logistics and technique, and get right down to smoking the stuff. Yes, it does get stupid at times. But rather than excise those portions, I’ve left everything in except for names (bleeped out) and the long silences while I inhale and hold in the smoke from the salvia itself. That way, you can listen to one reasonably accurate take of a salvia experience, silly goofs and gaffes included.

Click here for part one of the salvia divinorum podcast, in which I discuss my reasons for the experiment, necessary logistics for salvia use, and a bit about safe technique.

10 thoughts on “Salvia Divinorum: My First Trip Podcast (Part Two, The Actual Smoking)”

1. Bob S-K says:

You’re a regular Richard Alpert!

There’s a good book review in this week’s New Yorker about a Timothy Leary biography. It’s about the Harvard Psychedelic Project and the controversy surrounding it.

I like the giggly parts of the podcast.

2. Iroquois Honky says:

Far out, Bob. Here’s a link to the New Yorker article:

3. Iroquois Honky says:

I had so much fun this week with jClifford’s videos after I figured out how to download the open source Quicktime Alternative for Windows98. Who would guess from reading him that his voice has a cadence like MLK, and that you want to listen over and over just to hear HOW he says a phrase.

Then I happened on the VLC Media Player, open sourceware from and downloaded it from here:
    including the binary files they recommend. Now I can listen to mp3 podcasts. Oh, joy. I guess I didn’t really expect a sultry hot tub voice, but why does Jim have a drawl like an old aunt when he lives in N.C., then, as soon as he moves to Ohio, he suddenly acquires an Iowa accent, only talking faster than anyone from Iowa has ever talked…

4. salvia divinorium says:

I dont think its such a big deal

5. Salvia Divinorum says:

You should check out the english tv series Sacred Weeds. There’s one about Salvia Divinorum which might provide you with a lot of insight. πŸ™‚

6. Pingback: Irregular Times: News » A Meditation on Salvia Divinorum, Passing (Podcast)
  7. Trackback: Irregular Times: News » A Meditation on Salvia Divinorum, Passing (Podcast)
  8. Maria Suarez says:

Excellent post! Thanks for that!

9. Salvia says:

Very insightful. πŸ™‚
    Check out Salvia Trip – perhaps you could write up your experience for us?

10. Where to buy salvia says:

Thanks a lot for sharing your salvia experience with all of us.

11. Ross Levin says:

Oh, man, I just saw this post for the first time! This is great, hilarious.