Dragonfly Surveillance Robots, Cyborg Surveillance Moths?

Dragonfly Robot ExampleYou’re going to think I’m joking, but I’m not. People have been spotting dragonfly-like surveillance machines hovering near protests in Washington, DC and New York City. What exactly are they? What are they doing there? Who put them there? Or is it just swamp gas reflecting the light from Venus? Nobody knows for sure.

If that doesn’t freak you out, this may: cyborg half-living, half-computer surveillance moths implanted with computer chips by the Defense Department:

…researchers funded by the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA) are inserting computer chips into moth pupae — the intermediate stage between a caterpillar and a flying adult — and hatching them into healthy “cyborg moths.”

The Hybrid Insect Micro-Electro-Mechanical Systems project aims to create literal shutterbugs — camera-toting insects whose nerves have grown into their internal silicon chip so that wranglers can control their activities. DARPA researchers are also raising cyborg beetles with power for various instruments to be generated by their muscles.

Pardon me while I go crawl under the nearest blanket and suck my thumb.

7 thoughts on “Dragonfly Surveillance Robots, Cyborg Surveillance Moths?”

1. Damen says:

I knew they were experimenting with this technology but I didn’t know it was in use yet.

1. BobSmith says:

It’s not. Nowhere is there any actual evidence of these things being used. Just people claiming they saw them. Show me some footage, find one that crashed, something. This is a load of bunk.

2012 Congressional bill passed to expand drone surveillance in the United States, Bob:

Forbes article explaining how in the wake of last year’s bill passage, over 50 local agencies in the US have already been granted permission to use drones. Article also features a photo of a surveillance drone:

Damen, I don’t know what we know, you know? But I’m not ready to live on the set of Minority Report — not yet.

3. Brandy says:

Until I read this article I was uncertain as to what it was or even how to begin to put it into words, but Cyborg Dragonfly exactly what I saw in by backyd in Topeka, Ks a couple summers ago.

4. Mark says:

This is not exactly what I saw… what I just saw was much more advanced, it looked like a dragon fly with one exception. It had really large back legs ??? that made it look like [|] in the back. So it appeared like the thing in back was almost like a square.

5. BobSmith says:

BobSmith is obviously with the government’s disinformation campaign. 43!