Help Me Sum Up: What Makes Palin Appalling?
Sarah Palin is the Vice Presidental pick of John McCain. McCain is no spring chicken, and Palin is next in line, so the question we have to answer isn’t whether Sarah Palin is ready to be Vice President, but rather whether Sarah Palin is the kind of politician you want to be your president.
A great deal of information about Sarah Palin has emerged over the past few days, a great deal of it appalling. I’m trying to sum up, and here’s what I’ve got so far:
- Earlier this year, Sarah Palin cut finding for a food bank in half
- Sarah Palin used her line-item veto to cut $1.1 million in funding that would have given shelter to homeless teenaged mothers and their babies.
- Sarah Palin sincerely informed an assembled crowd that a natural gas pipeline through Alaska was part of God’s Plan
- Also God’s will: the war in Iraq
- Sarah Palin cites a two-hour layover in an airport in Ireland as part of her foreign policy experience
- Sarah Palin tried to ban books from her local library, then tried to fire the librarian who stood up to her.
- Sarah Palin advocated earmarks for the Bridge to Nowhere in Alaska, then claimed in her convention speech that she opposed the Bridge
- Sarah Palin thinks the Founding Fathers put “Under God” in the Pledge of Allegiance (hint: think “20th Century”)
- Palin has a history of firing people who question her questionable behavior: trying to fire that librarian who dared to say “No” to her, firing police chief Irl Stambaugh after he angered her campaign contributors, and firing the Alaska Public Safety Commissioner after he refused to dismiss her former brother-in-law
- Sarah Palin wants to mandate abstinence-only education in public schools, despite studies that show they are 0% effective
- Sarah Palin denies that human activity is a cause of global warming
- Sarah Palin made Alaska uber Alles statements this summer after having joined an Alaska secessionist political party in the 1990s
- Palin worked hard to take polar bears off the endangered species list despite their clearly threatened status
- Sarah Palin wants to restrict the marriage rights of women and have her religion taught in public schools
- A few days before being selected as Vice President, Sarah Palin confessed she didn’t know what the Vice President does
That’s a lot of disturbing information. Got anything to add?