People Dragged Off Into The Shadows At McCain Speech

We just saw an emblem of what has been worst about the Republican rule of the White House. While John McCain gives his speech, people are being dragged off the floor of the Republican National Convention into the shadows, where they can no longer be seen.

Why? They dared to express dissent.

Dragging away dissidents is the Republican way.

17 thoughts on “People Dragged Off Into The Shadows At McCain Speech”

Same thing happened at the Palin speech last night.

2. Billy Buerger says:

Yeah, I noticed that too. But had no idea why that was. Nobody said anything about it while I was watching at least.

3. Gary says:

Pointers, please?

You want pointers on how to get arrested during a national convention? OK, first you dress in a chicken suit. Make sure to put velcro, not a zipper, down the back. Then, being sure to…

OK, let me be serious and look…

during Palin’s speech

during McCain’s speech

5. Tom says:

It’s the same reason that Bush won’t allow pictures of returning military casualties returning from overseas: they can’t face the criticism or “own” the shame. It becomes a “non-issue” in their minds: because it isn’t in the media it doesn’t exist.

6. Gary says:

Thanks for the pointers, Jim.

7. Dave says:

If a protester had burst into the Democratic Convention and started screaming while Obama was giving his speech would you have been as suppotive to the protester?

8. Sam says:

Exactly…had protestors interupted Obama…the same damn thing would have happened. It doesn’t matter who it is, they will be hauled off because they are disrupting an organized function.

9. J. Clifford says:

Depending on what the protest was, yup, I would have been as suppotive, as you put it. In fact, we wrote some articles in support of peaceful protesters at the Democratic Convention.

Dang details.

10. Dave says:

So it all depends on what you like?

11. J. Clifford says:

Well, I’m not going to be supportive of causes I don’t like, no. If I think a protest is poorly conceived, I’ll say so.

Yes, believe it or not, Dave, my political opinion depends on what I like. Shocker! It’s called values, Dave.

However, I will encourage respect for the equal rights of all.

I’ll also point out that it’s not the legal right of people to protest on a private convention floor if the people holding the convention don’t want it to be done.

J.Cliffrod, Dems didn’t have protesters because “the right” is much more respectful. The majority also have jobs to get up and go do so they can’t really afford to be in jail all night.

13. Dave says:

J. Clifford, please excuse my misinterpretation. The context of my comment was in the original statement about people being dragged out of the convention, and this was the “Republican Way”. I believe the security during the Democratic Convention would have done the same thing. They would have not allowed someone from the floor to shout down Obama during his acceptence speech. Even if they were only expressing thier dissent. Would you agree with this, and if not, how do you think the Democrats would have handled it?

“anyone disturbed enough” these are the people of your ilk?

15. Dave says:

Jim, I think he was referring to people who were upset and frustrated.

16. Mike says:

Some of you really have an infantile understanding of free speech. It doesn’t mean you have the right to interrupt someone else’s speech and then not be asked to leave the building. What should they have done, cancelled McCain’s speech?

“On the other hand, the Democrats didn’t have anyone disturbed enough with the Democratic record to mount such a protest. We did write about our concerns, on yet another hand, when the Democrats and Denver arranged for the equivalent of fenced-in free speech zones to limit protest. That awful invention of the Republicans should never have been used by the Democrats.”

There are occassionally these kind of protests at Democratic events, and the outcome is the same. In some cases, the response is even more severe (Don’t tase me bro!). Interestingly enough, the protestor is usally left of the Democrat and angry that he isn’t liberal enough. It’s not that there aren’t Republicans who are equally outraged by Democratic politicians, we just, for the most part, have a more adult understanding of what free speech means, as well as some regard for common courtesy.

17. Gary says:

> we (Republicans) just, for the most part, have
    > a more adult understanding of what free
    > speech means, as well as some regard for
    > common courtesy.

You mean like, say, threatening to fire a librarian for not being so eager to ban books?