Gabe D. wrote in to us today with a summation of the record of the Bush years and his challenge: should we reward the Republicans for the mess they’ve made marching in lockstep with the Bush disaster parade?
We should be asking. Do the Republicans DESERVE another term after the last 8 years? Should we be REWARDING the Republican party another term considering their performance the last 8 years?
The Bush Years – A Review:
• THE DISASTROUS GOP ECONOMIC AND ENERGY POLICIES – The Exploding 9.5 Trillion National Debt – Inflation/Impending Recession – The Incredible Shrinking American Dollar – The Housing Market implosion – $140 Barrel of Oil – Rising Gas Prices – Rising Food Costs – Stagnant Wages – Rising Unemployment: the worst job-creation rate in modern history – The Volatile Stock Market – Predatory Credit Card Companies – Environmental Denial – The Infrastructure: from Dams to Drinking Water from Power Grids to Hazardous Waste graded “D” by the American Society of Civil Engineers – The Bridge to Nowhere…
• THE IRAQ WAR: An unprovoked, illegal and ill-conceived invasion of a third rate military power based on false information, After 5 years, and counting, it’s turned out to be an incredibly costly, and a seemingly never ending debacle, Costing – $12 billion a month – in access of 4,000 americans killed and 30,000 wounded (10,000 catastrophically) – anywhere from 250,000 to 650,000 Iraqis killed and up to 5 million Iraqi refugees.
• ABU GHRAIB – A national disgrace witnessed by the whole world and documented by thousands of images – some so disturbing as not to be shown. And, let’s not forget Guantanamo Bay, And, the C.I.A.’S secret prisons known as “Black Sites.”
• AFGHANISTAN – A resurgent Taliban and Al Qaeda are responsible for a new wave ot deadly attacks. Half of the population is living below the poverty line and Afghanistan’s health status is among the poorest in the world. Afghanistan provides over 90% of the heroin in the world.
• KATRINA – Another national disgrace broadcast on worldwide TV – The mismanagement and lack of leadership in the relief efforts in response to the storm and its aftermath was verified largely by televised images of visibly shaken and frustrated political leaders and of residents who remained in New Orleans without water, food or shelter.
• FAILED DIPLOMATIC POLICIES – Unilateralism – Cowboy Diplomacy – Declaring the Geneva Conventions irrelevant – Branding Negotiation as “Appeasement. – Declaring Countries “Evil.” – Preaching a “freedom agenda” while undermining domestic civil liberties – Supporting authoritarian regimes in the name of spreading democracy – The Dubai Port Deal
• GOP CORRUPTION AND DISGRACE – Scooter Libby – Jack Abramoff – Tom DeLay – Randall “Duke” Cunningham – Bob Ney – Mark Foley – Larry Craig – David Vitter – Thomas Ravenel – Ted Klaudt – Jeff Gannon – Ted Haggard, to name a few.
• 45 MILLION AMERICANS WITHOUT HEALTH INSURANCE – 37 million Americans living in poverty (13 million are children) – The Stem Cell Research Veto – The Dismal State of Public Education – The Embarrassing Terry Schiavo Fiasco – Walter Reed Hospital – Importing lead-tainted toys.
• 80% OF AMERICANS DISAPPROVE of the direction the country is going in.
• 28% – BUSH APPROVAL RATING.
Has Gabe got it right? How would you sum up the Bush years?