Here’s a summary of news from our planet’s oceans today:
– In Cornwall, England, the weather has been crummy for the last two years, and that’s keeping basking sharks away. Who would want to bask, after all, under overcast skies?
– Also in Cornwall, a team recreating an 1854 voyage by sailboat from England all the way to Australia has departed, but forgot to pack its underwear.
– In New Zealand, a couple struggled to save a small whale washed up on a beach, but failed.
– In Puget Sound, near Seattle, orcas are dying from lack of food.
– Greenpeace worries that Japanese whaling ships will be escorted by gunships this year
– Radio Netherlands writes about preparations for the creation of a European Commission Shark Action Plan
– In the south of France, the first surgery on a shark ever has been performed, on a 20 year-old fish living at an aquarium there.