After a bit more than a month of planning, I’m ready to announce an “Oath of Office” Demonstration for Inauguration Day:
Date: 1-20-09, Inauguration Day
Time: Officially, starting at 12 noon. Realistically, get there as early as you can. We stay for the duration of the Inaugural Parade.
Place: On Pennsylvania Avenue, where the Inaugural Parade will take place. Tentatively, outside the Department of Justice on the corner of Pennsylvania Avenue and 9th Street. Permit pending with the National Park Service. Check here for updates on location.
We are individual citizens, not bound by organization or party.
Our position statement is the text of the United States Constitution.
Our list of endorsers can be found in signature form at the bottom of the original copy of the Constitution.
Our demand is that President Barack Obama keep his Oath of Office: “I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States.”
This is a demonstration, not a protest, looking forward to advocate positive change. We have and need no budget. There will not be a march. There will not be a list of speakers. We will stand along the parade route with signs asking President Barack Obama to keep his Oath of Office by protecting and defending the U.S. Constitution. And that’s it.
If this demonstration resonates with you, what can you do to support it?
- Come to the demonstration.
- RSVP to help give an idea of how many people are planning to come. Not necessary at all, but helpful. RSVP through MySpace here. RSVP through Facebook here.
- Send an e-mail or make a phone call to a friend telling her or him about this.
- Grab one of these banners about the Demonstration, put it to your web page, and link it back to this page.
(This banner available as in 468×60 and 728×90 sizes.)
- Blog or twitter about the demonstration and tell people all about it.