2008 was the official year of the potato, the year of sanitation, the year of the coral reef, and the year of the frog. Put them all together, and 2008 was the Year of the Sanitary Reef Potato Frog.
Of course, that’s old news now that it’s 2009. What is 2009 the year of?
- According to the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations, 2009 is the natural fibers.
- The United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization disagrees, saying that 2009 is the year of astronomy.
- The United Nations Environmental Program joins the fight and says that 2009 is the year of the gorilla. Oh dear – someone had better deploy peacekeepers to the UN ASAP.
- The Coalition on the Public Understanding of Science takes a transcends these differences in broadly declaring 2009 the year of science.
- A company called Groom Energy gets rather too specific in stating that 2009 is the Year of Enterprise Carbon Accounting, and you all know how to observe that, don’t you?
- More aesthetically, Pantone declares that 2009 is the year of mimosa, a kind of orange-yellow color.
- Metromix, however, keeps it simple and says that 2009 is the year of yellow.
- Does all this leave you feeling cold? Well then, put on your Harris Tweed jacket, which Harris Tweed calls “the cutting-edge fabric of 2009.”
- The Accidental Hedonist, perhaps reacting to all of this struggle over the identity of 2009, has declared 2009 to be the year of beer.
So, that means that 2009 is the Year of the Scientific Study of Beer Drinking Space Gorilla Carbon Accountants’ Orange-Yellow Natural Harris Tweed Jackets.