Who Are the Major Republican Presidential Candidates for 2012?

I’m beginning to assemble some profile pages for Republican candidates for President in 2012, so that we can keep track of some aspects of their records that won’t be appearing on their official campaign web sites. I’ve assembled a short list of the candidates I can think who count as major contenders for the Republican nomination. They are:

Newt Gingrich
Mike Huckabee
Sarah Palin
Ron Paul
Tim Pawlenty
Mitt Romney

This looks like a pretty sorry lot to me. Of course, I’m a progressive, not a Republican. So, can you think of any candidates I’ve missed?

17 thoughts on “Who Are the Major Republican Presidential Candidates for 2012?”

Bobby Jindal might consider himself one of them.

2. randy ray haugen says:

being from minnesota, i’ve been watching this more than a little bit. the absentee governor gets a lot of air-time. pity the country if by some miracle (is there a negative word for miracle?) timmy pawlenty gets the nod.
    the one possible candidate you missed is the big cheese himself. dick cheney. he’s been putting himself out there quite a bit. he’s such a fathead egomaniac that i put nothing past him. he might even knock off timmy boy to get his chance. just kidding! don’t want to give the former vice-pres any ideas. i heard he’s pretty good with a shotgun.

3. qs says:

I was going to say Mark Sanford…o wait.

4. J. Clifford says:

Okay, so I’ll add Bobby Jindal and Dick Cheney… and apparently NOT Mark Sanford.

5. qs says:

We need a republican who is willing to acknowledge that Iraq was not a good idea as McCain was saying in this last election.

In fact it was a dumb ass idea. I doubt we’ll get anyone reasonable though.

1. J. Clifford says:

Are there political parties besides the Republicans you would consider?

1. qs says:

Well it’s not going to come down to one vote anyway so politics is just more something that’s fun to talk about. You don’t actually get to choose the government…heh.

And if you did think it was going to come down to one vote, well if you’re not in a swing state, then there really is no point in voting for the major parties anyway…in my opinion.

1. J. Clifford says:

No, what it comes down to is a collection of “one vote anyway” and then another “vote anyway”, and another, and another. So, it matters. No individual gets to choose the government on their own – but individuals do.

So, are there any political parties besides the Republicans you would consider?

1. qs says:

I voted Constitution Party this last election so ya.

6. tom chastain says:

sarah palins memoir comes out nov 17 it is called going rogue great gift idea mike huckabees new book is called do the right thing and he has one more new thing coming up called a simple christmas

You’re right. Great kindling for roasting chestnuts.

7. randy ray haugen says:

minnesota tried going third party. unfortunetly, if “the body” had any good ideas, they were shot down faster than a member of dick cheney’s hunting party.
    powers that be will, undoubtedly, put anyone in their place that even attempt to rock the boat. consequently, i don’t see much hope for the “we can” administration. i am also deeply concerned for their well being, powers that be being what they are.

8. jacob says:

I wonder if Tom Tancredo will run again…

That would certainly make the race interesting, no matter what your political views. But he’s not even in the Congress any more. Then again, neither is Newt.

1. jacob says:

Very interesting campaign adds. Vote for me or they will blow you up! They gave me a good giggle between all of the other boring political adds

Yeah, I thought they were amusing at the time, too. I couldn’t help making fun of ’em:

9. Chuck says:

You’ve missed some obvious ones, some not so obvious. The former Senator from MN, Norm Coleman is one. An outside chance for “Mr. PotatoeHead” (Spelling was intentional) Dan Quayle. Colin Powell, though branded a traitor in 2008 could pull a Richard Nixon and come back. Alan Keyes could once again show up on the doorstep. John Ellis Bush and Charlie Crist both show as possible. (For those of you not in the know, John Ellis Bush is better known as JEB) McCain is unlikely to try again, but don’t count him out just yet. And a long-shot, long absent from the political scene except for being a President’s daughter with no experience whatsoever: Julie Nixon-Eisenhower. Give it a little time, you may see a Bush Daughter running, too. But that isn’t likely until 2020, I’d guess. Unless they’re older than I calculate, 2020 is earliest for them.