The Opiates Of the Blogosphere
Stories that gained more attention in the blogosphere today than the effort by Democrats in the Senate Judiciary Committee to extend George W. Bush’s unconstitutional government spying against Americans under the Patriot Act and FISA Amendments Act:
– Chicago didn’t get the Summer Olympic Games that will take place seven years from now.
– David Letterman had sex.
– People don’t like Kanye West as much as they used to.
– Jon Gosselin is too selfish to be on a reality TV show.
– Drew Barrymore has a new movie about roller skating.
– The head of a dead baseball player became itself a plaything for workers in a cryogenics facility.
– The release date for the upcoming Transformers 3 movie was announced.
– A trailer for the Final Fantasy XIII video game has been released.
Then there’s my favorite: JJ Abrams will have a fictional TV show about government spies on NBC.
The blogosphere has the potential to bring about a new era in grassroots democracy, but instead people are using it as a medium for chatting about entertainment.