"I've called on Congress to repeal the so-called DOMA" — President Barack Obama

“I’ve called on Congress to repeal the so-called DOMA.”

— President Barack Obama, just now, declaring for the first time in his presidency a clear inclination to oppose the Defense of Marriage Act.

Did that Peace Prize kick President Obama out of his careful, complacent crouch?

Discuss.

18 thoughts on “"I've called on Congress to repeal the so-called DOMA" — President Barack Obama”

I am honestly shocked. I expected President Barack Obama to hedge, to speak in generalities, but not to make any commitments. He just made two new commitments that are important ones.

I am impressed.

1. J. Clifford says:

Uh, Obama already said that, Jim, and he hasn’t introduced legislation or mentioned support of any particular legislation. It’s an empty statement. You don’t CALL on Congress to do something if you’re President. You write the legislation and hand it to the Congress, and say, “Pass it”.

He already said that? Really? I thought Barack Obama was opposed to gay marriage.

1. J. Clifford says:

Yes, that too. He’s opposed to gay marriage he said, and promised that he would repeal DOMA. How very very interesting. Promises, promises.

Shall we play link wars on DOMA? OK, you cited some pretty words. Here is a pretty definitive action:

The president often introduces legislation. And since his election Barack Obama has prevaricated about what he means by a repeal of federal marriage ban. So it will be interesting to watch and see what transpires next.

Remember, in Obama’s speech last night, he ASKED FOR PEOPLE TO PRESSURE HIM to do the right thing.

2. qs says:

So what’s the other commitment?

1. qs says:

o nm. Don’t ask don’t tell.

I see.

I see you see. And you probably see that I see that you see. But as a civil libertarian, qs, are you pleased? Or do you withhold judgment until Barack Obama delivers?

1. qs says:

I have my doubts that he’ll repeal don’t ask don’t tell during war time because he doesn’t want to upset his commanders or hurt troops morale, a group which already dislikes him (and we ain’t going no where in Iraq or Afghanistan in the next 4 years.) If he does repeal it, he’ll be looking for some sort of consensus viewpoint though.

DOMA laws probably won’t be repealed although who knows…maybe.

1. J. Clifford says:

But qs, the majority of the “troops” don’t object to repealing Don’t Ask Don’t Tell.

Pre “Peace Prize” letter:

Obama Administration files papers in court to dismiss case against Defense Of Marriage Act, arguing that DOMA is Constitutional and that repeal would harm states.

Don’t just watch what Barack Obama says. Watch what he does.

ACTIONS like this to keep the Defense Of Marriage Act on the books are why I was shocked to hear President Barack Obama declare he would seek to overturn it.

3. ramone says:

jim, so glad to see you were impressed. then j. clifford delivers the “empty statement” blow. this is where i disagree. same with the peace prize thing. here’s the deal, any time barrack obama opens his mouth it carries far more impact than you are giving credit for. really. when this guy talks the entire world takes notice. nice of you to keep him on his toes(i guess), everyone is and will continue to mark his progress.
    by asking the people to pressure him (through e-mails and representatives,i assume?) he’s asking for support to validate his otherwise “empty statements”.

Did you listen to the speech? He wasn’t asking for support. He was asking for people to disagree with him when they were dissatisfied. And he wasn’t just talking about private channels like sending e-mails and calling representatives. He was talking about public disagreement. I give Barack Obama credit for being vocally supportive of the notion of dissent. I will be watching to see whether he actually follows through.

4. ramone says:

i did not hear the speech, but, i believe obama does want to hear from dissenters. not only is he a great speaker, he’s also a great listener. i’ll be watching to, but, saving my judgement.