Subscribe to Irregular Times via Email

Enter your email address to subscribe to Irregular Times and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Join 845 other subscribers

Rooting Results

Back in June, I wrote about an attempt to propagate using rooting hormone and some cuttings my wife took from a cotoneaster bush and a boxwood. This afternoon, I took a second look at the pots of rootings I had left to root through the year.

The results weren’t great. None of the cotoneaster survived. Just four boxwood cuttings survived.

Was the rooting hormone a waste? Not really. It only cost 5 dollars, and I’ve got four boxwood plants – not a bad deal, especially when I consider that I’ve still got a lot of rooting powder left.

Also, upon consideration, I’m thinking that the shady spot I left the pots in might not have been the best selection. I put the cuttings under a dawn redwood tree, a sort of deciduous conifer. It’s a shady spot, which is good for rootings, but it was also a rather dry spot, because the redwood’s needles are extremely dense, layer after layer, and do a very efficient job of screening out both sun and rain. Perhaps a spot underneath a young maple, or on the north side of my barn, would have better.

I’ll be trying those spots out with a similar project next year, and will report the results to you in autumn 2010.

Leave a Reply




You can use these HTML tags

<a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>