Would you buy a ketchup-stained shirt?

Would you buy a ketchup-stained shirt? I don’t mean a shirt mistakenly stained with ketchup. I mean a shirt that someone stained with ketchup on purpose, a shirt with a design on it made from ketchup. Think biodegradable ink; think about being able to tell your friends, when they ask what’s up with that shirt, “yeah, man, it’s ketchup.”

So, imagining that the design is to your liking, would you?

[poll id=”12″]

10 thoughts on “Would you buy a ketchup-stained shirt?”

1. Mark says:

What would happen to the design the first time I washed the shirt????

Get a bit lighter, but never really come out? I mean, that’s what all ketchup does, right?

Someone suggested grape juice.

3. F.G. Fitzer says:

What about elderberries, smeared?

1. Ross says:

That just sounds less gross.

I take it mustard’s out of the question.

4. qs says:

Jim did you see that Obama is reviving Bush’s wiretapping program?

No, I hadn’t seen that. Thanks for the tip, qs.

What’s described isn’t exactly “Bush’s wiretapping program.” After all, Obama never ended Bush’s warrantless wiretapping program.

What’s described by Raw Story and the Washington Post is a revival of a military espionage and data mining unit, to be deployed domestically. Also plenty scary.

5. Hendrix says:

Not sure, but doubtful. Food should probably be used as food. A good bit of energy goes into the industrial process of making ketchup. Not sure how it compares to what goes into traditional shirt dyes. Perhaps if they could make the dye from the tomatoes that would otherwise go to waste, but I imagine that a ketchup factory doesn’t say no to many tomatoes.

Interesting and laudable, Hendrix. To extend this further, what would you say (keeping plants in the mix but taking food out) to shirts with designs dyed by gathered plant materials, such as acorns, dandelion roots and marigold petals?

1. Hendrix says:

I like the idea of using the prolific plants that are not food crops and can be sustainably harvested where they grow naturally. I would be quite willing to purchase a nice shirt made in that manner.