Pastor Backs Down from Burning Quran; Congratulations, Death Threats Work

Breaking news: Pastor Terry Jones of Florida has backed down from his plan to burn Korans on Saturday in the face of personal death threats from his fellow Americans and multiple applications of pressure from the military, the FBI and the White House. The military, FBI and White House applied that pressure because of threats from Islamic militants to kill people if Jones went ahead with his constitutionally-protected free speech.

Thank goodness, says the world, that crazy Terry Jones has been stopped.

Who’s crazy here? The idiot who wants to buy some books from Islamic publishers and then burn them? How about the people in the U.S. and around the world who threatened to kill Jones or other non-violent bystanders? How about the U.S. officials who just taught violent people in the U.S. and around the world that you can stifle free speech if you just threaten to kill someone? Maybe they’re all crazy, but there are layers of insanity, and I say the latter two categories fit right on top of the whole sour cake.

Might makes right after all. That’s what I learned today.

8 thoughts on “Pastor Backs Down from Burning Quran; Congratulations, Death Threats Work”

1. Peregrin Wood says:

It makes me want to go and burn a Koran. What do you say?

No, not necessarily. It makes me want to do whatever I want to do, independent of what other people want me to do or want me not to do.

2. Ross says:

Once again, something political that makes me completely disgusted with everyone involved.

Did you read the oped in the NY Times the other day by one of the planners of the Cordoba House? It was really good.

1. Peregrin Wood says:

Yes, I did read that, and one of the things I appreciated was the imam’s suggestion that it’s good for people to argue about religion.

I really liked the Al Jazeerah backgrounder, explaining to a foreign audience why Jones isn’t just stopped from doing this by the government:

3. Tom says:

Well, now that the media spotlight is threatening to move on to someone else, the “Pastor” is saying he was duped this Friday morning and will now re-consider going back to burning the books again. i hope his congregation abandons him in light of his intolerance and acting like a petulant child by trying to force the Muslims into not building the mosque in NY via this “threat.”

1. Peregrin Wood says:

No, no. His congregation embraces him for those characteristics, Tom.