FYI: January 15 FBI Protest Postponed

UPDATE, 12/15/2010: Thanks to the resourceful Ross, we know now that this protest has been postponed and will probably happen some time later this year.

In a handful of places on the web there’s a banner announcing a protest in Washington DC on January 15 against FBI intimidation of anti-war activists:

Is a January 15, 2011 Protest against FBI intimidation of political activists in Washington DC going to happen?  Where is the direct source?

If this event occurred, I would be happy to spread the word about it. But I’m suspicious. Notice the typo and the lack of a scheduled time? Also odd is that if you check out the websites for the groups listed, none of them show any promotion of this January 15 protest event, at least none that I can find.

Is this a protest that was canceled? Is it a bait-and-switch by anti-activists set to confuse civil libertarians? Or is the protest for real?

If you have the answer, please let me know.

8 thoughts on “FYI: January 15 FBI Protest Postponed”

1. Ross says:

I emailed Debra Sweet of World Can’t Wait about this. I’ll let you know when she replies.

I’ve written a note off about this too. Let’s hope info’s a-coming.

1. Ross says:

Here’s the email I got back:

Ross, I was a real protest, organized by Cindy Sheehan. She canceled it a few weeks ago.
        It’s difficult to get that posted to all the original places it went to.
        It still should happen, but probably later in the spring. Debra

Ross, thanks, man. I’ll update the post to reflect that.

I’m also headed over to the websites still advertising the protest as if it were occurring and posting updates there to reflect that… they’ve got moderation queues which I hope they clear out soon. It would suck to be outside the FBI in the cold on January 15 all alone.

1. Ross says:

No problem. And thanks for what you’re doing.

2. Ed says:

There are a lot of similar protests scheduled for Tuesday Jan. 25. This one is going to happen!

3. Ed says:

I’m not sure about DC (though it seems likely), but I’ve seen notices online for many cities for the 25th.

Right you are, Ed. Look to the Right-Hand side of this page for details on the January 25th protests taking place in many cities across the USA.