Fact Check: Is Americans Elect “Not a Political Party of Any Sort?”

After half a year of inactivity, Americans Elect has updated its Facebook page. The 501c4 corporation, which has kept its funding sources secret since last October, plans to run its own candidates for President and Vice President in 2012, but is claiming that it is “not a political party of any sort:”

Americans Elect Declares of itself: Here is what Americans Elect is not: we are not a third party.  We are not a political party of any sort.  Is this true?

Is this true? Let’s do a little fact check.

After paying for the signature-gathering service of Arno Political Consultants, Americans Elect has qualified pursuant to NRS 293.171 as a Minor Political Party in the state of Nevada. Its name in the state: the “Americans Elect Party”; Arno corporate executive Kellen Arno is listed as Party Secretary.

In December 2010, Americans Elect sought approval for its “Petition to Form New Political Party” from the Michigan Board of State Canvassers. Its petition, which was approved by the board, specifically seeks to “place the names of the candidates of the Americans Elect party on the ballot at the November 6, 2012 election.” Kahlil Byrd, who has been variously listed as Director, Treasurer, Secretary, Chief Operating Officer, Custodian of Records, and Consultant for Americans Elect, is now also listed by the Michigan Secretary of State as Party Coordinator of the Americans Elect party.

Despite Americans Elect’s unqualified assertion that “we are not a political party of any sort,” Americans Elect is on the record as a political party of two sorts. There is a disconnect between what Americans Elect says about itself and what Americans Elect actually does, which means that as a practical matter Americans Elect will not be a trustworthy source of information about itself during the 2012 presidential election season. Rather than accepting Americans Elect’s account of itself at face value, we would be well-advised to look for — and ask for — independent corroboration.

8 thoughts on “Fact Check: Is Americans Elect “Not a Political Party of Any Sort?””

1. Charles Buell says:

Can I join Americans Elect if I advocate changing the tax rate on hedge funds from the long-term capital gains rate of 15% to the partnership rate of 35%?

1. Stephen says:

Yes. In fact the thing is designed to have its candidates represent the views of the majority of members, so I would recommend that you join and get your friends with similar views to join. If you go to their website you register and then are invited to express your views in a series of questions, with the percentage of members’ views on each answer tabulated. I’ll bet you’d find some common ground with people already there, but again I’d advise you to enroll others who think as you do to join as well. Bottom line for me is: it looks like an experiment worth making.

2. DOUG DENVER COLORADO says:

I AM RUNNING PETITIONS IN DENVER AND THE RESPONSE HAS BEEN GOOD. PEOPLE ARE TIRED OF ISSUES IN OUR OWN COUNTRY NOT BEING ADDRESSED AND THEY WANT TO SEND WASHINGTON A WAKEUP TO JUST HOW MANY WANT CHANGE. I RAN COMPUTERS FOR 18 YEARS ONLY TO LOSE MY JOB TO OUTSOURCING IN INDIA. I HAVE BEEN OUT OF WORK TWO YEARS OUT OF SUNNYVALE CALIFORNIA. NOW I AM RUNNING PETITIONS. THIS WILL PASS IN COLORADO. REPUBLICANS EAT THAT. COLORADO – LETS HAVE OUR VOTE COUNT. REMEMBER BUSH WINNING BY ELECTORAL. HECK I WAS IN LINE TO VOTE WHEN BUSH WAS ANNOUNCED WINNER . MY VOTE DID NOT COUNT . HOW BAD WAS THAT. — MAJORITY WINS — THAT IS REAL POLITICS. I WANT MY VOTE TO COUNT. WE ALL SHOULD WANT THAT. THANKS TO THE PEOPLE THAT ARE GOING TO STAND UP FOR MORE CHOICES WE ARE STRONG AND TIRED OF THE BULL****. REALLY WE ARE. NOT HAPPY THEN JOIN AMERICANS ELECT. STAND UP BE COUNTED DENVER COLORADO

1. J. Clifford says:

Are you being PAID to run those petitions in Denver, Doug?

1. DOUG DENVER COLORADO says:

NO I AM NOT. I FEEL STRONGLY ABOUT THIS. I WILL MAKE A DIFFERENCE CAUSE I CARE.

1. J. Clifford says:

What exactly is the issue that you care strongly about, Doug? Can you identify any specific issues you think Americans Elect stands for?

2. Lee Mortimer says:

Is there an issue at this website about people being PAID to circulate petitions? I thought your colleague Jim Cook was expressing sympathy for signature gatherers who may be unemployed being able to pay their bills. Have you checked in with Jim?

1. Lee Mortimer says:

I can tell you an issue Americans Elect stands for. They stand for getting an alternative to the Republican/Democrat duopoly on the ballot in all 50 states and the District of Columbia. If we like what we see, we can vote for it. If we don’t like what we see, we’ll be no worse off for their effort.