Over the last few years, some prominent politicians and religious figures in the United States have warned that legal recognition of equal marriage rights for same-sex couples will provoke a wrathful reaction from their god, a supernatural being with the power to destroy cities, wreck nations, and even lay the entire world under the waters of a violent flood.
Last night, the New York State Senate voted to approve legislation legalizing homosexual marriage, and the bill now moves forward to Governor Andrew Cuomo, who has indicated that he will sign the bill into law.
So, has there been any evidence of wrathful gods punishing New York State for legalizing same-sex marriage? Let’s look at the news from New York this morning:
- The New York Jets football team will be training in New Jersey, rather than Cortland, New York.
- 4,100 public school teacher jobs have been saved in New York City
- Tuition will increase in New York’s state universities
- Train delays between New York City and Philadelphia are likely end by September
- There’s a Jazz Fest at Onondaga Community College
- There’s a Cherry Festival in Seneca County
- Health insurance companies in New York will be required to cover services for children with autism
- A women’s professional golf competition continues
I’m trying to find a big disaster in New York that would provide evidence for the divine wrath theory, but I just can’t… hold on…
In Perinton, some vandals knocked down some tombstones. Does that count?