On Huge Petition to Pardon Edward Snowden, Barack Obama goes Silent

On June 22, the petition to pardon Edward Snowden surpassed a hundred thousand signatures, and has continued to gather signatures ever since, reaching 127,000 signatures this morning.

Once a petition surpasses 100,000 signatures, the Obama administration has committed to responding to it. But two weeks later, there’s no response. Keep watching that space, but don’t hold your breath.

15 thoughts on “On Huge Petition to Pardon Edward Snowden, Barack Obama goes Silent”

This is typical Obama. Make a promise. The promise gets loads of attention. Then, fail to keep the promise, knowing that rank-and-file Democrats and Democratic insiders won’t say a thing.

2. Bill says:

From the White House web site: “If a petition gets enough support, White House staff will review it, ensure it’s sent to the appropriate policy experts, and issue an official response.

Does two weeks really seem like an unreasonably long time to deal with this petition? It’s possible that the administration has one or two other things to deal with that might be more urgent than finding a politic way to say “No freaking way we’re going to pardon Snowden.”

Snowden might actually have had a shot at a pardon if he hadn’t suddenly gone stupid on us, running to China and tattling, running to Russia and no doubt having his laptops sucked dry there, revealing (heaven forfend!) that the U.S. actually spies on other countries’ diplomats! (I’m shocked, shocked!). I thought he was a hero when he revealed Verizon and Prism (and for those acts I still do). But since then he’s just been acting like a jerk, and digging his own grave. That’s a pity.

We actually don’t know what he’s done in China or Russia, Bill. There’s a lot of supposition and not much knowledge.

When a reporter from corporate news asks Barack Obama to respond to a question, he answers. When a hundred thousand citizens (plus some) ask Barack Obama to respond, the urgency doesn’t seem to be there.

I didn’t say that two weeks is unreasonably too long. I am noting, however, that the time is long and getting longer.

1. Bill says:

Granted we don’t know what happened to Snowden in Russia. But, trusting Putin’s gummint far less even than I trust my own, I have to say that if you think it possible to sashay into Sheremetyevo Airport with three laptops full of U.S. state secrets and leave with them unmolested, then I have this bridge I’d like to show you….

1. Bill says:

Dang, missed a great snark oppty above. I should have said “Bareback Vlad’s gummint”

But if I recall news reports correctly, he didn’t do that. Rather, he had the information secured elsewhere.

I do agree with you to the extent that Edward Snowden should NOT be the largest focus here. Daniel Ellsberg wasn’t the point beyond the procedural question of protection for a whistleblower — the point was the U.S. government was throwing lives into a woodchipper with no plan. So Edward Snowden isn’t largely the point beyond the whistleblower protection question — the point is the gigantic surveillance state.

1. Bill says:

Here we’re in complete agreement, Jim. Snowden has, sadly, become a distraction from the real issue.

Still no response.

Another week, and Barack Obama is still refusing to answer this petition.

Update: Barack Obama still has not answered this petition.

Barack Obama still has not answered this petition.

Barack Obama is a fink.

You know what I’m going to say: Barack Obama still has not answered the petition. The people have spoken, the president has promised, but… no dice.

But here are the other important failures:

1. Journalists aren’t writing about it. They’re failing in their duty.

2. American citizens are mostly not paying attention. They’re failing in their duty, too.

Obama couldn’t get away with his lies and abuses if it weren’t for these additional problems.