I had never heard of Shotgun News magazine before. I wondered: What news about shotguns could there possibly be?
Here are some stories involving shotguns from the recent news:
- A woman in Texas was shot in the foot when her dog knocked over a shotgun she had left standing on its end, leaning against some furniture.
- A couple walking through their neighborhood in Florida were robbed by a pair of criminals who threatened them with shotguns.
- In Westchester County, New York, a man has been charged with attempting to murder his wife with a shotgun.
- In Midland, Texas, a woman has been arrested for threatening a member of her family with a shotgun.
- In Trenton, New Jersey, a man who has been arrested for selling heroin was found with a sawed off shotgun.
- A convicted felon in Camden, Maine was arrested after he was found to be in possession of several firearms, including a shotgun.
- In Middlesex, New Jersey, two men carrying shotguns have robbed three gas stations.
- The schizophrenic Navy Reservist who killed several people at a military base in Washington D.C. carved the words “better off this way” into his shotgun before using it to murder people.
I couldn’t find one single recent news story in which a person used a shotgun in self defense. There were also no news stories in which people used shotguns to defend their constitutional rights against big government. Also absent from the recent news are stories of well-regulated militias carrying shotguns.
Interestingly, Shotgun News magazine hasn’t reported on any of the many crimes being committed with shotguns. The most recent Shotgun News article is entitled How to Convert a Scope Base to 8-40 Screws. Is that news?