The Agenda Of Martin O’Malley

Yesterday, former Maryland Governor Martin O’Malley announced his campaign to pursue the Democratic Party’s presidential nomination in 2016. O’Malley also declared the agenda for his campaign, including the following planks.

Martin O'Malley campaign buttonEconomy: “a higher minimum wage, overtime pay for overtime work, and respect for the rights of all workers to organize and collectively bargain for better wages.”

Environment:

“Climate change is real. We must create an American jobs agenda to build a new renewable energy future.”

“to prosecute cheats, we need to reinstate Glass-Steagall, and if a bank is too big to fail without wrecking our nation’s economy… then it needs to be broken up before it breaks us… again.”

Immigration:

“bring 11 million of our neighbors out of the shadows by passing comprehensive immigration reform.”

Security:

“reduction of threats. Fast-evolving threats — from violent extremism, pandemic, cyber attacks, nuclear proliferation, nation-state failures, to the drought, famine, and floods of climate change.”

Foreign Policy:

“a New Foreign Policy of Engagement and Collaboration. We must join with like-minded people around the world — especially with nations here in our own hemisphere — for the cause we share of a rising global middle class.”

Is this enough for you to decide to support Martin O’Malley for President?

If not, what else would you like to hear?

7 thoughts on “The Agenda Of Martin O’Malley”

1. ella says:

Economy: What? Since 1919 unions have been organizing labor, the minimum wage has just gone up, and overtime is as old as collective bargaining!
    Environment: That policy is ongoing for the past 30 years or so. The banks, they always say that and never do it.
    Immigration: What policy, exactly, does he propose for Immigration Reform? Immigration reform is just a key word for whatever.
    Security: “…reduction of threats.” Now that’s comforting!
    Foreign Policy: Uh, engagement, and collaboration… Like-minded people, that is just plain scary. But then add “…the cause we share of a rising global middle class.” If we do that, we will have finally created a global elite and global poverty for the rest. Or is there a rising middle class again in the USA?

But I see what you mean, if someone wanted to just read into what was said the things of their own mind, then I guess… naw he just doesn’t say anything to me.

Fact check: the federal minimum wage has not “just gone up” — it remains at $7.25, where it has been for years, as inflation erodes the minimum wage’s real buying power: http://irregulartimes.com/2015/02/10/in-the-last-5-years-the-u-s-minimum-wage-dropped-75-cents-an-hour/ .

2. Tom says:

i second what ella said!

3. ella says:

Jim, I stand corrected, the minimum wage increase is not national but by state and territory. Even though the Federal wage an hour law has not passed and may not, states are making their own laws. Some have even included future increases. Of course some are a disgrace, like Georgia which has a minimum wage of $5.15 per hour and no indication of raising it. Of course workers who are covered by federal law make $7.15. Explanations for exceptions are listed beneath the list. But inflation is eroding everyone’s income.

4. Tom says:

Here you go Jim:

Sunday, 31 May 2015

The “we are going to die” party
    Great message. I hope he doesn’t expect any votes

California Senate candidate: “We’re all going to die”

[quote]

As Beitiks puts it:

I run for Senate on a narrow platform. It’s more of a single board, really. If elected, I promise to monomaniacally create and support legislation that combats climate change.

This is not some sort of henny-penny scheme. It’s about realistic assessment and hard work.

Literally nothing else will influence my decision-making and my political dealing. I will use the power of the law to brutalize the most brutal climate offenders and smack some sense into all of us.

It will be a rough job, no doubt, but it can’t be that much rougher than going about my business like an ignorant sham of a man, willfully blind to the fact that my kids will come of age in an apocalyptic wasteland of our own making.

I will be the first to admit that I’m not a perfect candidate. I’m barely qualified, and a survey of my personal history will undoubtedly expose me as an embarrassment to myself in almost every regard that does not include this singular act of rationality.

Now there’s a candidate worth voting for!

5. Bruce Nappi says:

What else would I like to hear?? How about how to achieve any of these – which should be the question put to every claim.

Hey! I got it. This is an April fools day article. Good going J. Just two months latelate – we’ll overlook that ;-))

6. ella says: