Browse By

Results, Not Rhetoric, From Rick Perry

Over the weekend, Rick Perry issued a challenge to Hillary Clinton. He tweeted that “Americans want results not rhetoric.”

As Governor of Texas, Rick Perry certainly got results.

– At the end of his term of Governor, Texas began to lose tens of thousands of jobs per month, as the boom-and-bust cycles of the oil industry that Rick Perry had allied himself with hit Texans hard.

– Rick Perry increased the economic burden on poor and middle class workers while giving huge government packages to fossil fuels companies, even as the contribution by those companies to the state economy fell.

– Thanks to Rick Perry’s policy of promoting the oil and gas industry at the expense of environmental standards, Texas has the highest rate of carbon dioxide emissions of any state in the union.

– Under Rick Perry, poverty grew in Texas. Texas now has the fifth highest rate of poverty in the nation. Only states like Mississippi and Alabama have more poverty than Texas.

– If you do have a job in Texas, watch out. Texas ranks highest of all U.S. states in the rate of worker deaths.

– Texas is dead last in the nation in terms of the percentage of its adult residents who have graduated from high school.

– Texas is among the bottom 5 states in terms of teacher pay, and that neglect has brought results – Texas ranks 47th in SAT scores.

– During Rick Perry’s time as governor, Texas achieved the lowest rate of literacy in all the USA.

– Under Rick Perry, Texas came to have the lowest rate of health insurance coverage in the nation.

– As much as Rick Perry claims to be pro-life, under his watch, Texas provided the lowest rate of prenatal care in the first trimester of pregnancy of any state.

– Texas also ranks lowest in the nation in terms of voter turnout.

So, yes, Rick Perry certainly knows how to get results – negative results of the sort that nobody would hope to emulate. In the 2016 presidential election, we shouldn’t allow Rick Perry to do to America what he did to Texas.

rick perry runs for president

5 thoughts on “Results, Not Rhetoric, From Rick Perry”

  1. frank says:

    What a bunch of lies. Bet you believe that the Democrat run States are the best in the Nation. Truth that Texas is the strongest economy in tge Union and is attracting businesses from all over the US, especially from the failed liberal ones. Pathetic.

    1. J Clifford says:

      These are lies, Frank? Show me the statistics to disprove them. Show me where it says that the poverty rate in Texas is lower than in states run by Democratic governors.

  2. ella says:

    Thank you frank! On this one J Clifford, I offer you this link. Texas may have had that grim record at some time and at some time part of what is related in this article has probably been right. However, right now Texas is ripping it up.

  3. J Clifford says:

    Ella, the link you provide is a Republican piece of political communication, from the Republican-controlled state administration. Its data are selected in order to show that the Republicans should stay in office.

    Here’s some of the information it doesn’t provide:

    Wages: Texas has the lowest minimum wage legally possible in the United States.

    Poverty: Texas has one of the highest rates of poverty in the nation. Only Alabama, Mississippi, New Mexico, and Louisiana are worst.

    Health care coverage: Texas has the lowest rate in the nation.

    Income inequality: 86.8 percent of economic growth in Texas in recent years has gone to the top one percent most wealthy households. The top 1 percent most wealthy Texas households took an average of 32.5 more money in income than the average income of the remaining 99 percent.

    The Texas Economy Report you cite doesn’t even measure these kinds of statistics. The Republican authors of the report believe that they’re irrelevant.

    How, though, can Texas be said to have a great economy when so many people there are living in poverty? Republicans who say the Texas economy is strong are talking about the parts of the economy that serve the interests of the financial elites.

    Rick Perry and Republican his allies believe that if wealthy families and corporations are doing well in Texas, that means that the state has a strong economy. The rest of us should be wise enough to know the difference.

  4. Tom says:

    People see and hear what they want to believe and disregard the rest [Paul Simon paraphrase].

    There is no political solution
    To our troubled evolution
    Have no faith in constitution
    There is no bloody revolution [The Police, opening lyrics to Spirits in the Material World].

    Climate change, that we’ve caused by our use of fossil fuels, is destroying our habitat. Without habitat we go extinct.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Psst... what kind of person doesn't support pacifism?

Fight the Republican beast!