Any Other Windows 10 Horror Stories Out There?

Two weeks ago, I “upgraded” from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10, drawn by the promise of…

a) talking to a computer like Jean-Luc Picard, and

b) relief from the slow, pointless Start screen.

For two weeks, I tried to make Windows 10 work.  I enjoyed calling out “Hey, Cortana” for about fifteen minutes, and a return to the Start menu was very nice.  I noticed right away that my typing, pointing and clicking around the screen suffered from lag, even though my drivers were up to date and I had a computer (Intel i7, 8 Gigs RAM) that should be able to handle the new operating system.  I hoped that updates to Windows 10 would fix these problems, but my computer just got slower and slower.  Checks of the Task Manager showed that as time passed, Windows 10 system processes kept taking up more and more and more of my computer’s memory and CPU cycles.  By this morning, even when my computer was fully updated and freshly restarted and I had no programs running, Windows 10 was churning through … what?  I still have no idea.  The processes gobbling up CPU cycles under the heading  have utterly nondescript names.  But by the end, my computer was so strained under Windows 10 that I could barely open a word processor.  I was burning my fingers when I typed on the keyboard, my laptop innards were so darned hot.

Moving to Windows 10 wasn’t an upgrade for me.  It was a downgrade.

After an hour with Windows tech support (ending with the phrase “we aren’t really tech support”), I clicked the magic “Go Back to Windows 8.1” button (under Start -> Settings -> Update & Security).  After about 45 minutes, I had my old computer back.  My old, capable, fast, multitasking, non-laggy, non-burning, working computer.  What a relief.

Have you “upgraded” to Windows 10?  If so, what kind of experience have you had?

13 thoughts on “Any Other Windows 10 Horror Stories Out There?”

1. frank says:

That’s why i use Apple. Never had a problem om any update. Windows must be a liberal thing…it never works!!! Lol

1. Fuck You Frank says:

Frank do you know how idiotic you sound by insulting 50 percent of America come off your high horse you POS its always the right wing wackos putting the blame on everybody else.

2. ella says:

Here’s a good one. I was online when suddenly a bright light blinded me. Then a full screen “You must update your drivers or your computer will crash” message came up. In near panic I followed the screen to a McAfee (supposedly) site, where it was said the computer had to have updated drivers to support Windows 10! Dummy here said ‘Okay’ and then after they went through the computer said it would cost $100. That was enough to cause some thought. This computer does not have Windows 10! Having already paid almost $50 to them, the conversation was immediately terminated. Shortly a new message was received requesting if I wanted Windows 10 installed right then. NOOOOO! That was an easy decision and it has stuck.

3. Billy Buerger says:

No horror stories from me. I’ve been using the preview for almost a year and have the final version on all of my devices with no real issues.

I will say that Microsoft has made some bad decisions with Win10 though. And maybe that’s part of your issue. The default is to update whenever it decides it needs to. There’s very little options to say I will update when I’m good and ready. And with that, it also defaults to include you in the peer-to-peer update system where every PC can share it’s updates with other PCs. Sure, this can mean faster downloads and less bandwidth on Microsofts side. But if you’re like me and don’t have the fastest internet (10Mbps/1Mbps), this updating stuff can easily bring your internet to a crawl. In Windows Update -> Advanced options -> Choose how updates are delivered, you can turn off the shared update thing complete or at least only share for local PCs. Which is a nice idea. Updates in theory should only have to download once and all of your PCs can share that one update. Of course this assumes it actually works correctly.

I have had some minor issues with windows updating or doing some sort of maintenance which slows the whole system down. But I don’t know if that was some initial thing or what but I haven’t had any issues like that in a while. So possibly if you would leave Win10 around long enough it might get better. But that’s a big if.

I hear you, Billy — and I had no idea that Windows by default involved end users in a peer-to-peer file sharing network. Isn’t that just waiting for a hack?

I think what I intend to do given my experience is to stick with my Windows 8.1 for a while — it’s fast, it works — and wait for the dust to settle on Windows 10. When Windows 10.1 comes out, hopefully fixing some of the issues that have given me such a headache, I’ll take another look and be able to try out the new system without such a cost.

1. ella says:

I with you, it is emotionally involving when your computer is taken over by a Windows program, as well as expensive. I don’t even use McAfee any more because it could not withstand the, I can only call it, hack. They just said that they were not programmed to block anything Windows does. My 8.1 is running fine again, now that all of that has been removed. Windows 10 does say it is for a social media audience and that 8.1 is just fine. That it is not necessary to have 10. The upgrade is a social move.

2. Billy Buerger says:

I’m not overly concerned that this P2P sharing of updates would result in a hack. It’s possible. But by that same measure, so would redirecting your PCs update system to look at some other source and download malicious updates. If they have a good system of signing the updates, then any attempt to insert a malicious update into the P2P stream would be detected and ignored. Not that there couldn’t be flaws in their system. But there are probably much easier targets than this.

But yeah, I can understand why you would wait to update.

2. Cody says:

oh so thats why my computer internet is so crappy?

4. Dave says:

Jim, I got a new laptop a month ago, “upgraded” from 8.1 to 10 two days ago. Used XP for so long on my desktop that I just supposed that was the way things should be. Now I have to dig everything out. Have been told the Windows updates come flooding in these days and slow things down.

I really get the feeling we’re being had. For all the data they collect on us you’d think they would know their customers preferences, but alas, they seem to be in the business of creating our preferences.

5. amj says:

Well I have upgraded form Windows 7 pro to Windows 10 Pro…
    I made the dumm decision to upgrade my SSD disk and now my windows is genuine but not activated;
    Tried now 5 times in a row to asking assistance by the Helpdesk and they starting with asking your ID numbers, again, again and again. No help provided, yeh they gave an Ref number with the ‘promise’ they will look into it…
    I think Microsoft has really hit the jackpot now, by introducing this scheme of upgrading…
    You wind up with an Windows 10 running with no personal key, so if you have trouble with your machine, there is nothing else to do then installing your Old windows back on it.
    Luckily I have my Acronis Backups….
    No there will be coming a storm up of protest when the public will be coming aware of this scheme…shame on you Microsoft Nadella.

6. Dennis says:

First off: Apple users are losers! You are all just lazy and want an easy “personal machine.” If you want a hard working, stout machine I still go with PCs. I even use Pro Audio production software and many times people ask, “Why Don’t you use Macs?” Too many issues to address. Dorks create viruses to affect the masses and the masses are NOT defined by Mac users. Why do you think that the cyber-attack-geeks aren’t writing viruses for your Commodore 64? Anyway, Windows 10 needs a whole lot of perfecting before ANYONE should upgrade. It consecutively crashed my main business PC twice and left me down for almost a week. I was in terror! My computer savvy insiders tell me just to wait until they get all the kinks worked out. That, i will!

7. Stephen Kent Gray says:

As a fan of Apple, I say OSX and iOS are better than Windows!

8. DeEllis says:

I cannot believe how absolutely horrible WINDOWS 10 IS. I bought a brand new HP computer with windows 10 already on it. I have a dell at home that I am typing on now with windows 8. I am a distance learning student, and a product brokerage internet marketing consultant. I have not been able to load Office 360 on my computer or anything else. I use a computer all the time, but have become accustomed to using certain features on windows 8 with great success.
    I do not see how a company can put out such an absolutely ineffective product and not be forced by the better business bureau to give some kind of compensation to the victims who have suffered through trying to make it work.