I Am A Liberal. That’s Why I’m Joining The Republican Party.

Yesterday, I explained the depth of my concerns about the presidential campaign of Donald Trump. I also promised, at the end of the article to provide you with what Donald Trump never does: A specific plan for dealing with the problem.

I’m going to register to vote as a member of the Republican Party so that I can vote in the Republican presidential primary for the candidate who is in second place behind Trump.

There isn’t a single Republican presidential candidate right now that I would feel good about voting for – not even among the minor outlandish Republican candidates who have little chance of ever even getting on the ballot. However, my primary goal in the 2016 presidential election is to prevent Donald Trump from gaining the White House. Donald Trump’s bigotry and anger are so out of control, and so far outside the realm of reasonable leadership, that they pose a serious threat to the survival of our democracy. If I have to join the ranks of the Republican Party to put the breaks on his growing movement of Anglo-American nationalism, that’s what I’ll do.

donald trump angryCurrently, I’m registered as a member of the Green Party, but Jill Stein the only significant candidate, and she is campaigning much more lethargically than she did in 2012. So, my vote won’t make a big difference there.

Joining the Democrats as an insurgent against the party establishment feels like a dangerous route to take, because the Democratic Party pays just enough lip service to some of the liberal ideals that I hold that I would run the risk of being co-opted, as I fear I was when I served as a member of my state’s official Democratic Committee back in the first years of this century.

My ideals are 100 percent in reverse of what the Republican Party stands for in its platform and in its everyday campaigning. But, as I see it, that prevents me from being co-opted as a member, and enables me to stand out more dramatically.

As a member of the Republican Party, I’ll have the chance to speak to true Trumpists, and not just to complain to people who already understand that Donald Trump’s politics are dangerously close to those of the Nazi Party.

Not participating in the primary election in my state doesn’t seem like a reasonable reaction to the threatening clouds gathering under Trump’s bloated ego. The Republican Party is the place where I can make the most difference.

And now, as the first part of enacting the plan, I will do another thing that Donald Trump never does: I will admit that I could be wrong, and listen to your criticisms of the flaws in the plan. How could it be better? Should I abandon it before it’s too late? What alternative ideas do you have?

21 thoughts on “I Am A Liberal. That’s Why I’m Joining The Republican Party.”

1. ella says:

I cannot criticize what you want to do – having done it. But I can tell you it does take more than a few wild card votes in the primaries to down vote a candidate. And then change parties to vote in the General Election? That isn’t allowed anymore. Being able to talk with true Trumpet enthusiasts is possible anyway, but they probably will only talk not listen. Or listen but not HEAR. That’s the glory of a Democracy is that we can have different opinions, act on our own, and have ourselves to blame for the results…or take the credit. Capitalism and Socialism though different economic ideologies, actually have worked together in some countries. Democrats are Socialists going under different names. There are many Republicans who actually follow the Liberal ideology too. It has come to light during this administration that some Democrats are really more aligned with the Republican ideology. So, if you believe that it is right for you to make a protest vote against Trump, go right ahead. But remember Bernie Sanders is still out there and he has definitely ignited many of the Democrats and some others as well. He could use your vote as a Libertarian.

2. Mark says:

A couple weeks ago I participated in a Republican focus group. We had to watch the debate on our own and then we met for 2 hours the following Saturday. We were 12 white men, mostly middle aged.

I had to hold my tongue numerous times during the session, but it wasn’t as bad as I thought it might have been. On the issue of immigration I was pleasantly surprised. One man, whom I wanted to reach across the table and slug a few times, was adamant that something had to be done about the issue. He had resided in Southern California and had experienced all the immigrants. I’m not quite sure what he meant by that, but I have no doubt he didn’t like the color of their skin or the language they spoke. What surprised me was that by the end of the meeting it was the general consensus that the US needed increased immigration because our population is aging and we need an influx of younger workers to help pay benefits for retirees. I was shocked that a group of conservative, South Carolina Republicans would come to this conclusion. I didn’t even have to say anything. They came up with this all by themselves.

1. Dave says:

I spoke with a young immigrant from Mexico who waited my table this week at a local restaurant. She said her mother lives in California but she doesn’t like visiting her there. When I asked her why not, she replied that her mother’s neighborhood “is all Mexicans now.”

I heard Trump say once that “People are a mixed bag.” I’m inclined to agree with him on that point. Few Americans are ideologically pure, and have a mixture of emotions that can be difficult to reconcile.
      Something like 70 percent in a poll last election cycle say they finalize their decisions when they get to the voting booth. If that is so, the election will go to Trump, a true populist, unless he blows it.

Hillary’s a crook, Biden’s dopey, Sanders is old. They will have voters who support them for ideological reasons, but Americans vote for personalities.

Trump is a true populist in the sense that Hitler was a true populist: They exploit the most dangerous, destructive emotional impulses of the population to gain power for themselves.

3. Mark says:

J Clifford,
    Back to your original question. Go ahead and do like I did. Immerse yourself with the Republicans. You can be a voice of reason in the party counter-balancing the idiocy.

4. Larry says:

Devil’s Advocate:

Maybe having Trump as the Republican candidate would be the best thing that could happen to the Democrat Party.

At his current peak, Trump is running at first place in the polls of REPUBLICANS – with 30% of the polls. Meaning 7 out of 10 of even Republicans don’t want him. (What do you figure the number, the percentile, of Democrats, Independents, and Third Party voters who would vote for Trump is? 5%? 3%?). In fact, in the first official poll AFTER the Debate, he went down in their poll, from 25% to 24%.

Right now liberals and progressives are panicking because Trump is the “media darling” – even though he craps all over them) and cover everything that he says and doing everything possible to generate “controversy” and “news” (if you are mainstream media – as the commercial says – that’s what you do).

Meanwhile, the anti Trump Republicans (and non Republicans) are creating problems for a number of incumbents in other elections. In Ohio for example, Senator Portman has repeatedly complained about the antics of Trump (and GOP presidential candidates in general) causing the “circus atmosphere” of their campaigns to hurt his campaign. Having won by a significant margin in 2010, he has trailed former Governor Ted Strickland (never a popular figure) by 6-7% points, up until just very recently after Portman’s people began the typical string of extremely misleading, erroneous, and fictional TV ads (once those start getting dismantled by Editorials, FactCheck organizations, etcetera, look to see Strickland pull ahead again).

I’ll get worried when I see polls of ALL registered Americans that show Trump as a likely winner. In the meantime, I personally see Trump winning the Republican nomination as “the beginning of the end” for the GOP. Or if Trump falls behind a solid GOP presidential candidate, yet still stays in that 20-25% of poll strength – of REPUBLICANS – and his ego forces him to pull out and run Third Party, then that too (IMO) will cause “the beginning of the end” for the GOP.

One thing that is consistently MISSED with these comparisons of Trump and Hitler….

Trump may have the bigotry and the belief in absolute inequality and of a ruling class over the peons that Hitler does… but Hitler had something that Trump has NEVER possessed.

Personal courage. Hitler – as an Austrian-German volunteered for the German Army and fought throughout World War One, while Trump dodged the Draft and (obviously) declined enlisting. On top of serving, Hitler served in combat on the front lines, was wounded multiple times (including once by poisonous gas attack), and won not won, but two Iron Crosses – this all in his early, pre National Socialist, years. Hitler also went to prison for his beliefs.

None of these detract from the fact that Hitler did become a monster.

But I have a hard time seeing Trump EVER displaying personal courage to such a degree. I don’t believe that he even has the courage to put his financial empire into a trust organization (should he actually become president) as would be required by law.

1. ella says:

It would be his having to give up his empire that would kill Trump. But it seems that he has the ruination of the Republican Party at heart anyway. I still haven’t found any verification that he and Hillary are “…distantly related…”, but he certainly does favor her in his manner of speech. When he mentions her or is asked a question about her. I still say he is their (the Democrat Party) answer to Bernie Sanders. Nothing would please the Socialists more than to have the Republicans lose an election that was theirs to win. The latest polls say that any of the following candidates (those ranking behind Trump) stand a better chance against Hillary. Of course if Biden gets in, Hillary is out. Biden will stand a better chance. I guess the best that can be done is to watch those who are in the highest ranking, by order, after the next debate.

5. ella says:

I do not know if this is considered permissible or not, but I’ll take the chance. These statements are made by a writer for Democrats.Org, sent to me in an email, so I am assuming they are now my property, or public property.

“There are moments during a campaign when you just have to laugh. When Donald Trump first entered the race for the Republican nomination — via escalator — it certainly helped keep us entertained here at the DNC.”

…”Luckily, there’s time before the Iowa caucus in February, but even if Trump doesn’t win the state or become the eventual Republican nominee, his wild rhetoric is having a very real impact on the field. Each of the 17 Republicans running for president is trying to trump the others with out-of-touch, irresponsible positions.”

The second statement should answer any questions about Trump. repeat: “…, but even if Trump doesn’t win the state or become the eventual Republican nominee, his wild rhetoric is having a very real impact on the field.”

6. The Man says:

Wrong move. I’m a diehard liberal. Will vote for Hillary in primary if she needs it. But in my state I can cross over and vote Repug, and I will if Hillary is ahead in the polls. And I’ll vote for Trump. Why? Because he’s alienated the Latin (“Hispanic”) vote and the Repugs cannot take the White House without their support. Plus he’s alienated the female vote. And he’s alienated the religious right: twice married, pro-abortion, and from New York. Trump has neither the support of the religious right or the swing voters. Hillary will Effie kill him in the general election. Trump for Repug nominee!!!!!

If you’re a diehard liberal, The Man, why will you vote for Hillary Clinton in the Democratic primary? She is anti-liberal in many of her significant policies, and in much of her political history.

Also, my state has wisely made it against the law for people to spontaneously cross party lines on election day in order to try to sabotage the other political parties. That kind of strategy leads to the worst candidates getting elected.

Think it through. It’s a big risk you’re taking. What if, thanks to voters like you, it’s Trump vs. Clinton, and then there’s a big scandal with Clinton? Then we get President Trump.

7. Tom says:

This is what happens every election cycle – this dance of hope for some candidate to LEAD the nation. It never happens any more – they only do what they’re told by their owners (corporate Amerikkka, the super rich political players and Wall Street). Life isn’t going to get any better for the masses no matter who gets in the White House during the collapse of the former American empire. Politics is a ruse that allows the citizenry to feel like they have power, which they decidedly don’t. We see this every time the budget comes up for a vote. The military and homeland security get the lion’s share while social programs go begging. It’s obvious in the neglect our infrastructure continues to suffer (for example) – there’s no money for bridge repair, little left to fight forest fires or clean up toxic waste that private corporations leave behind, the homeless are being criminalized, and on and on.

i’m done with this useless activity that ends up putting in place, in the BEST case, “the lesser of two evils.” Politics is living in fantasy world.

Tom, I understand your frustration, but I disagree with your conclusion.

NOT participating in elections, and NOT voting with your ideals gives MORE power to voters who are swayed by corporate-paid advertising and all the rest of that garbage.

You don’t have to fall for the unrealistic “dance of hope” in order to participate. You can use your head and place what power you do have as an individual voter where you think it is most wisely applied, without thinking that your one vote is going to change everything. You do have power – but you’re one among many millions. It’s best not to be unrealistic in politics, either in the direction of hope or in the direction of despair.

8. Korky Day says:

None of you are thinking long-term.
    What can you do to bring democracy to the USA (for the first time)?

The Green Party, and possibly the Libertarian Party, will bring pro-rep and thus, democracy.

Don’t waver. Nothing short-term matters much.

Will it, Korky? When? How?

What signs do you have that the Green Party is making any headway at all in the United States?

9. Tom says:

Chris Hedges

Noam Chomsky Has ‘Never Seen Anything Like This’

[begins]

Noam Chomsky is America’s greatest intellectual. His massive body of work, which includes nearly 100 books, has for decades deflated and exposed the lies of the power elite and the myths they perpetrate. Chomsky has done this despite being blacklisted by the commercial media, turned into a pariah by the academy and, by his own admission, being a pedantic and at times slightly boring speaker. He combines moral autonomy with rigorous scholarship, a remarkable grasp of detail and a searing intellect. He curtly dismisses our two-party system as a mirage orchestrated by the corporate state, excoriates the liberal intelligentsia for being fops and courtiers and describes the drivel of the commercial media as a form of “brainwashing.” And as our nation’s most prescient critic of unregulated capitalism, globalization and the poison of empire, he enters his 81st year warning us that we have little time left to save our anemic democracy. [i would say NO time left.]

1. ella says:

Chomksy is a person to be admired. I like this quote from your linked paper:

Chomsky embraces the Julien Benda view of the world. There are two sets of principles. They are the principles of power and privilege and the principles of truth and justice. If you pursue truth and justice it will always mean a diminution of power and privilege. If you pursue power and privilege it will always be at the expense of truth and justice. Benda says that the credo of any true intellectual has to be, as Christ said, ‘my kingdom is not of this world.’

He so well describes the situation that encompasses our nation today. And two currently popular candidates for President. Each represents one of the principles described. Somehow the Clinton’s’ did try to cover both with rhetoric, a frightening aspect and telling of motives.

10. Guy White says:

I too, am a liberal joining the republican party. But not for the same reason as you.

You see, I’ve woken up. I may still hate right wingers, but I hate niggers and illegals even more.

Over half the violent crime in this country is committed by niggers. I’m not sure what the percentage is for illegal spics, but I’m sure it’s pretty high too.

And all liberals like you do is make excuses for it. You keep blaming it on Whitey, slavery, poverty, or some other bullshit.

You site back and take Obama’s continual racism against you, when Trump’s offends you. You are letting a nigger keep tabs on you to find out if you’ve not given a nigger a job.

It doesn’t matter that he’s not qualified or that he came to the interview with his pants sagging down his ass. You’re a racist who is oppressing the drug dealing, saggy pants, murdering rapist!

So yeah. When some nigger decides to rape someone you know before setting her on fire, and probably doing the same to you, think about how Whitey made him do it as you’re frying to a crisp and having his dick up your ass. Then you’ll understand.

“And all liberals like you do is…”

Whoops, you slipped. But it’s clear at any rate that you’re not a liberal. You’re a racist.

1. Guy White says:

There’s no slip there. You’re just looking for something that isn’t there. If I said “all White people like you do” does that mean I’m not White too? Is that why I said I hate right wingers at the beginning?

There are different levels of things. Sorry you’re too stupid to get that.

You’re wrong. I’m a liberal. I believe in things like abortion, gay rights, etc. But I don’t believe in making excuses for criminals. I don’t believe in ignoring the facts.

Obama hates White people. He associates with racists like Sharpton and Jay Z, and probably still does with reverend White. He continues to make negative comments about White people, and excuses the crimes of niggers because of their skin color.

I’m not saying I haven’t grown racist. But the reason I have is because of racists like him. 20 years ago I was fighting against skin heads. Now, I may still think they’re just as bad as niggers, but I’m less likely to disagree with them about how niggers are.

Your journey has not been dispassionate. Your language is invective and emotionally grounded, which is one reason why it is utterly unconvincing.

1. Guy White says:

Try learning to form your own opinion instead of following the guidelines for trying to counter a point. Better yet, stop following the liberal handbook on how to make excuses for criminals.

I hate the right wing. Groups like the Aryan Brotherhood are nothing but niggers with White skin. They suffer from the same ignorance and violent behavior.

I don’t make excuses for them, or any other piece of White trash that commits crime. So why do you make excuses for non Whites?