Do Native-Born Americans Work More Than Immigrants? Do White Anglo Immigrants Work More than Non-White and Hispanic Immigrants?
Here at Irregular Times and elsewhere in forums of political debate in the Unites States, right-wing commentators have been fond of insulting immigrants. One line of their argument declares that immigrants come here to this country so they can be lazy and soak up benefits while lounging around in blissful unemployment. Lately, I’ve heard particular ire directed toward non-Anglo, non-white immigrants. If only the “good” white immigrants were allowed in greater numbers while the “bad” Latino, African and other dark-skinned immigrants were kept out, then America could get back to work, they say.
This is what I’m told. This is the story. Why don’t we stop telling stories and check the facts?
The facts, courtesy of the latest release from the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics:
- The labor force participation rate of immigrants to the United States is 66.0%.
- The labor force participation rate of native-born American citizens is lower, at 62.3%.
- The labor force participation rate of black non-Latino immigrants is 71.1%.
- The labor force participation rate of Asian non-Latino immigrants is 63.8%.
- The labor force participation rate of Latino immigrants is 63.9%.
- The labor force participation rate of white non-Latino immigrants is only 59.5%.