More Evidence of Ethnic Discrimination in the USA — This time in Elections

Just in case a friend of yours starts wondering aloud why non-Anglos are so whiny about fairness in the United States, you may find it helpful to familiarize yourself with a number of field experiments (also known as “audit studies”) that demonstrate systematic discrimination against people on the basis of the social categories we call “race” and “ethnicity.” In these field experiments, researchers send pairs of trained actors out into the world (or send paper messages in the mail, or send electronic messages over the Internet) saying and doing exactly the same thing. The only difference between the two is that one member of the pair has an Anglo, white identity; the other member has a non-Anglo, non-white identity. Again and again and again results show that Anglo, white members of the pair are treated more favorably than non-Anglo, non-white members of the pair.

In a newly published piece of research, Harvard University graduate students Ariel White, Noah Nathan and Julie Faller describe a field experiment that tracks responses to e-mail requests they sent, requesting information from nearly seven thousand local elections officials in 46 U.S. states. These requests, concocted by the researchers, are equivalent except in one respect: the name of the fictional sender. When the name of the person making the request indicated Latino heritage (“Jose Martinez” or “Luis Rodriguez”), fewer elections officials responded than when the name of the person making the request indicated Anglo heritage (“Greg Walsh” or “Jake Mueller”). In addition, when elections officials responded to messages with Latino names, they were less likely to provide accurate information than when they responded to messages with Anglo names.

White, Nathan and Faller’s research can be found in this year’s volume of the American Political Science Review. If your local public library or school doesn’t provide access to the American Political Science Review, the Takeaway provides a good summary of the research in written and audio form.

When that friend of yours uses the word “whiny” again, let them know about this latest piece of evidence that there is something real to complain about.

54 thoughts on “More Evidence of Ethnic Discrimination in the USA — This time in Elections”

1. frank says:

Whining as usual. WHO responded to them? Ethnic composition of the people that responded? how do you know that bias wasn’t shown by people of the same ethnic group? Where the officials ALL of Anglo-Saxon descent? …as usual..left skewed reseearches/ Keep whining…just like the “voter id” bs (while in ALL of Europe ID is MANDATORY in order to vote). Whining..whining…whining….

ヽ༼ ಠ益ಠ ༽ノ

1. Dave says:

Dang Jim, how did you know what I look like without my chin whiskers? In my view your post doesn’t rise to the level of a genuine whine, but I did wonder if the recipients of the requests were all white. The word “discrimination” I think should always be qualified, i.e. racial, cultural, etc. as that would bring the necessary simplification to an argument.

Yes, I’m guilty of discrimination. I tend toward fresh field peas with my cornbread as opposed to the canned kind. I don’t know why I do it. Canned peas just don’t stand a chance at my house. Years of education and even some deep psychotherapy haven’t changed this predilection.

There. I feel better.

1. frank says:

that’s Cookie…he sees discrimination and bias at every corner. T excuse of the left to have “special” treatment for the so called “minorities”, open border and lawlessness…

Dave, this is the emoji sign for “troll.” I don’t respond to Frank any more because he’s not really interested in fact-ish things. I just post the troll emoji to let others know I’ve seen the comment and am not going to engage him. You and Ella and others, on the other hand, are substantive even when I don’t agree with you, which I appreciate.

Dave, I suggest you follow the read the research through the above links. For very practical reasons, they don’t have that information. The thing about whiteness is that it’s a social construction. You can socially construct names that are associated with Latino ethnicity (another social construction), but it’s another thing altogether to obtain the social construction perceptions of nearly 7,000 elections officials. It would have tipped the researchers’ hands. And besides, the subject of the article isn’t how white elections officials treat people with Latino names, it’s about how elections officials, period, treat people with Latino names.

1. Robert Milnes says:

Why don’t I merit a troll emoji, Cookie? I feel discriminated against.
          By your logic it doesn’t matter if the assumed white officials discriminate against the assumed Latino voters, because all involved are social constructs and therefore do not exist.
          Also I’d take another look at the graduate students’ names, Ariel White, Noah Nathan, Julie Faller. Jewish? Maybe a little pro jewish tendencies at Harvard Graduate School? Maybe some huge donations by jewish alumni?
          Sorry, until I get the circumsized prick out of my ass I’m going to whine like a stuck pig.
          Deal with it.

1. ella says:

You are discriminated against Robert, you are worthy. 🙁 I don’t know how to get that amazing emoji or I would, just for you. Discrimination is a fact of life, it happens all over the world. So of course there will always be ‘evidence of discrimination”, at least I certainly hope so. When humans quit discriminating they will be as dogs, indiscriminately wandering over the Earth without conscience.

3. ella says:

Jim Cook, how did you do that? Absolutely demonstrative of some emotion. 🙂 🙂 🙂 You have been given an unfairly hard time lately, when you work and research, then present your subject for comment, it deserves a comment. And then since in this merits some investigation, let the games begin.

I really don’t doubt that the response was that way. It would be nice if someone would do a personal survey. That is have people go and talk directly with respondents, so that certain facts about the surveyor could be ascertained first hand. That way they could get a more reliable response. Like with the trained actors, that is probably pretty accurate.

For one thing there are so many illegal aliens that do not have a right to vote, that election officials are probably leery of responding, for fear of putting information into the hands of an illegal. Which is a shame, because Mexicans who work are very hard working people and have high work ethics. But the rights of citizenship must be preserved. And then there is, among some people, the animosity concerning the use of American taxes to help support illegal aliens. That tends to cause a stand-off-ish-ness (that isn’t a word, is it?) as well.

4. Robert Milnes says:

IPR cyberpig paulie banali, jewish. Owner Warren Solomon, jewish, Dr. Amy Solomon, germ warfare, jewish, Judge Laskin, traitor, jewish, Lori Greenberg, greedy landlord’s collusive attorney, jewish, Ginsberg, Podell, legal aid attorneys withdrawn from case, jewish, Jill Stein, ZOG candidate for president, jewish, Bernie Sanders, ZOG
    candidate for president, jewish, Mezvinsky, Chelsea’s husband, jewish, David Rhodes, president of CBS news, jewish, Ben Rhodes, David’s brother, national security advisor, jewish, Les Moonves, president of cbs, jewish, Ginsberg, Kagan, U.S. Supreme Court justices, 2/9/22% >2%jewish. For all you bean counters.

5. Robert Milnes says:

There is no jewish/Zionist/ZOG conspiracy, right, Cookie?
    Do the math. 2/9=22%. Jews are 2% of Americans. That is 11X overrepresentation. That is 1100% overrepresentation.
    0% Muslims I assume. The rest Christian I assume.
    There are about 6 million jews in USA. About 6 million in Israel. About 6 million in the rest of the world, mostly Europe and the middle east. Virtually NONE in Asia, Africa, Central/South America i.e. the POOREST parts of the world.
    Why are 1/3 of the jews in the entire world in the U.S.?
    Tell me, Cookie, tell me, mr. know-it-all.

1. frank says:

wonder why the left refers to study when is convenient but when studies show something that doesn’t fit their narrative they label them inaccurate..(gun control,climate change). See..the cookies of the world belong to that type of person that makes perfect sense in a totalitarian regime. Cookie doesn’t respond to Frank because he can’t! Just like in the case of the African marvelous accomplishments, which he could name NONE!! Now if only Cookie applied common sense he would explain why, if we are such a evil society where white devils discriminate against everyone else (which is what he means for ethnic discrimination), every damn human being from the shit holes of the planet wants to come and live with us!!!! Why the so called “refugees” come to the white devil Nations and not to India or China or Saudi Arabia and so on. I guess this “ethnic discrimination” that we have in the West is just lovely!! But he won’t, because he ..can’t!! See, my friends, leftist commofascists, avoid common sense, because puts them in a bad spot, they have to explain things, and so they need to use the “bigot”. “racist” card! You don’t want the Somali? You are a RACIST!! they make good citizens and there is no proof..blah ..blah.. (laugh). The 9/11 happens, and the Tsaernav brothers bombs the Boston marathon,people get beheaded HERE on US soil, let alone Europe, which is a catastrophe for the West..and they are LONE WOLVES!!! Can’t connect the dots…they just can’t. Charlie Hebdo, for example, didn’t teach SHIT to the stupid racist Europeans, These racist white people keep taking in all the possible crap that comes from the ME and Africa. Racist Germany just announced that want to take in half a million refugees. WOW..what a racist white Nation. Wonder what the Cookie would call the Muslim nations around the word that took ..how many refugees! ZERO!! They are not racist though….only white devils are….

1. ella says:

Better a ‘cookie’ than a ‘cow pie’-Frank.

1. frank says:

…here is another brain dead one..

2. Robert Milnes says:

Jim “cow pie” Cook! LOL! I like that.
          The wealthy middle east oil nations are not stepping up to the plate re: Syria refugees. Even the lamestream media mentions that once in a while, Cookie. Frank has a point.
          Thank god Germany is balking at taking in more refugees. If the Zionists bring economic ruin to Germany AGAIN, there won’t be anybody for the Germans to put in concentration camps. Oops, Turks, various muslims, Syrian refugees already there etc.
          How many millions more can Germany take in, Cookie, have you done the math?
          Oiloybomber-20,000 Syrian refugees over 5 years! LOL!
          Let Iran and Saudi take in a few million. MAKE THEM! Israel COULD take in Syrian Christian refugees. Netanyu-NEIN!

1. Robert Milnes says:

Oilybomber=ZOG lackey. Israel doesn’t want Syrian refugees coming to America. Or any others. Bad enough Blacks and Hispanics, Asians already here. America is ISRAEL’S to rape and plunder. So many gentile women, so little jewish sperm.
            Chelsea Clinton. I rest my case.

2. ella says:

That is part of the point why Bill cannot go back into office, there is the other side that has backed his/Hillary’s bid for office. Bill wasn’t called the first Black President without basis.

3. ella says:

Jews have better sense than to take in a bunch of Syrians. They have enough problems with the Palestinians. Germany is a time bomb waiting to go off. Merckel does not have any strength in her leadership, but there are men in the Parliament that could go either way. Rome is the place I most worry about. Now that Germany has collected the Empire again, and the Middle East along with Africa have erupted onto the global scene, there will soon be circumstances I would have rather avoided being involved in occurring. I know what you are trying to say, it is just that it is a time that Europeans, including Americans of that descent, are too ‘comfortable’/’confident’, to realize that they are vulnerable. It is dangerous for those who realize what is going on.

Ignore Our bombs, They must be a danger. Look out, the Others are coming!

5. Robert Milnes says:

A few years ago, Cookie refresh our collective memory with your total recall, there was an Irish woman who was deliberately targeted to fall in love with some swarthy fellow from the middle east and then when she visited him on El Al airlines, she had a bomb in her luggage.
            What about that, Cookie?

6. Robert Milnes says:

I don’t ignore our bombs. Why do you think I call our second black president Oilybomber?
            Although I confess I emphasize the oily over the bomber.

7. Robert Milnes says:

What a stupid comment, Cookie.
            When I was in 7th grade I stenciled E=MC2 on my notebook. I knew a little about Einstein, being jewish, but that didn’t matter. Salk vaccine etc. The new Arts and Entertainment center in Phila donor balked unless it was named after him, Kimmel Center. Jewish. That’s about when I started thinking a little skeptically about the jews. When 100% of the officers of the court in my eviction were jewish and my friend with high i.Q. got ADEM had jewish doctor, I really started getting mad.
            That is slow infiltration into America legally by about 6 million jews and becoming top personal income ethnicity and now on the brink of controlling usa.
            The others are already here you fool.

What a fitting comment given the subject of this article.

9. ella says:

No. That is Frank and Robert ‘Cow Pie”.

1. frank says:

Ahmed Zewail is Egyptian arab..not black African (which is what i meant). Chris Barnard is white. Ancient Egyptians were not blacks, matter settled decades ago. First form of structured language was Sumerian.
          Your link on African publications is dead. Sure they publish stuff lately!! All of your links are just stupid and do not prove any “marvel”. Three postings…that’s all you have? LMAO. Please cite me a written piece of African literature of 2000 yrs ago!!

1. ella says:

Frank, can you read ancient Egyptian? They didn’t have time or the stupidity to write fiction at that time, they were too busy actually living a life of their own. But the literature is there in abundance if you can decipher it. And over 2000 year ago. A completely developed language as has been the case with all written languages found in that part of the world like Tibet, China, Arabic etc. And the black Jews have been in Africa for over 2000 years and have the Torah and a written language.

2. frank says:

Black Jews..OMG, this is complete ignorance. Egyptians never wrote ONE piece of literature work. Everything that is written is about burials, events of common life. Secondly..Egyptians were NOT black. I don’t know why you keep offending the Egyptian people. That languages were developed in other part of the world is obvious…the first Alphabet was developed in Mesopotamia. Why you keep writing such ignorant things Ella….

3. ella says:

Frank, check it out, there are and have been “Black” Jews in Southeastern Africa for thousands of years. Next you will be saying there have never been blue people.

4. ella says:

Besides the Library at Alexandria probably only had scrolls from Rome in it. And I know, Cleopatra was Greek, and Egyptians were not of the Negroid race.

There is no Negroid Race.

6. ella says:

Are Negroids extinct?

7. frank says:

You and Cookie need to read the definition of negroid. As for the “black Jews” we are in the land of hypothesis, just like the lost Ark matter. Let’s go to Alexandria. I don’t know what you meat with that piece, but I am sure that you know that the Library was named Alexandria for a reason, which has nothing to do with black African and that Roman literature became part of it centuries after its foundation. As far is Cleopatra and Egyptians, I am glad that you agree. Onassis was Greek, probably with heavy sprinkles of Turkish blood. So..what is your point…

8. ella says:

We know that the Library of Alexandria was named after Alexander, and that Cleopatra was not Negroid. Egyptian society is the oldest known on the southern Mediterranean. I have given you an older ruin site in south eastern Africa, which probably predates Noah’s flood. Granted the literature that was found in the library, before it was burned, had some thoughts of Negroid Africans written within them. That they, since the last flood, have not had a written language, does not preclude ingenuity. There was no need to motivate them to make tall towers or develop electricity. Everything needed was a hand and through the generations they simply continued. Cold in both northern and southern hemispheres called for changed in order to adapt, to be able to live off the land by saving food through the long winters, for instance. But all of this knowledge was known long before we had anything developed. An ark was found on Ararat, including dimensions that were Biblical. To say that there are no remains of advanced civilizations is Africa is wrong. Who developed them is something that apparently none who know have told to someone who is willing to share it here. The various groups of people, races, that have come together, and are still coming together, were separated not all that long ago. Orientals in China and that area, Negroids in Africa, nearly the whole continent, truly white people, Scandinavia and that area, Polynesians or similar peoples the Pacific islands and South America east/east central, another black race that is not Negroid in the central west Amazonian area. Well, you get the idea, they were not an amalgam to any degree, over 4000 years ago.

I haven’t found it again, but there is an article published today, 9/18, in which South Africans say they are not monkeys or chimps and will not dig up old monkey bones. Do you believe they may know more than the scientists do?

9. frank says:

You and Ella need to read the definition of Negroid. And you keep dancing around the question, like a good Clintonian. I re-re-re -re ask the question: where the “black” African marvels….

2. frank says:

no answer…African negro marvels…?

2. ella says:

Frank – you only see your own point or are trolling for research you don’t want to look up yourself? You have been given any number of responses that are valid. The ‘race’ that is being put down continually is the ‘white race’ of which there are pitifully few left in this country. Mixed races in abundance. I gave you a link to ruins found in sub-Saharan Africa. So I can only guess your ‘debate’ is with the author, not about any facts.

“Negroid (also known as Congoid)[1] is a term that is used by forensic and physical anthropologists to refer to individuals and populations that share certain morphological and skeletal traits that are frequent among most populations in Sub-Saharan Africa.” https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Negroid

1. frank says:

..i still don’t get your point. Whom ever said that Negros are Simians? What responses have i been given..and on what? I agree that the white race has been put down too much by the same whites, or part of them…and i used the term Negroid to indicate exactly the Sub-Saharan Africans, just to clarify a concept to Mr.Cookie, which keeps dancing around a certain question i have been asking and that has been left unanswered. And please ..let’s quit this stupid word . “trolling”,

2. ella says:

Bernie! Bernie! Ber-nie! Is supported by huge numbers of people. Maybe not Nazi’s. Even Iran is acknowledging the Jewish people with respect. You, the ZOG are after you and I wonder why?

1. frank says:

..Socialism. And that would be the “new thing”? Look how well worked in Greece….brain dead stupidity…

1. ella says:

Socialism is winning the competition (communism), the slow deliberate psychology has done it’s work on the American people. Capitalism, competition to see who can collect the most wealth. The Jewish apparently are doing a good job. The Greek held that title for a long time, now look at Greece, yes and that could be our future. If someone who really knows business gets in the white House and runs this country’s business back into the black, we might make it.

In a policy sense, the U.S. is far less socialist than it was 40 years ago.

2. frank says:

..really? LMAO..welfare spending to the roof, Government up our asses, 80000 new regulations every year, EPA, IRS, Taxation up our asses..little less half of the useless citizens of this Nation take handouts..and we are less socialist…

3. Robert Milnes says:

Frank has a point. You just mindlessly regurgitate old leftist talking points like a brainwashed robot.

4. frank says:

FYI, Greece was the culture that formed the Western civilization as we know it. FYI Greece was under Ottoman domination for hundreds of yrs..what is left today has nothing to do with what was Ancient Greece. Just sayin’…study history a little bit Ella..

5. ella says:

I was talking about Onassis, you should brush up on modern history.

6. Robert Milnes says:

I was watching tv tonight, Cookie. Phillies v Nats, Eagles v. Atlanta Falcons.
    Where are all the jewish players, Cookie?
    I wonder how many of the OWNERS are jewish?
    Should we count Donald Sterling, jewish pig, recently forced out for being a pig? A VERY rich pig.

7. Robert Milnes says:

How many coal miners are jewish, Cookie? Cops, fire, paramedics, soldiers?
    Politicians, physicians, lawyers, judges, professors, entrepreneurs, financial advisors/managers?
    Anybody besides me see a pattern here?
    Help me do the math here, Ciookie. I must be wrong. A bigot with a circumcised prick up his ass.

8. Robert Milnes says:

Yes, there are leftist jews in America. But even they would chose Israel over America. Either/or. Of course they want BOTH.
    And if asked to do something, like evict illegally a non democrat/republican tenant, DONE. FOR ISRAEL THAT is the problem THE WORLD has with ISRAEL.

9. Robert Milnes says:

I think Ruth Blumenstein is going to be exhumed soon.
    Ruth was a poor jew, therefore expendable.
    Just like 9/11 first responders, Dallas PD officer J.D. Tippet, expendable.
    For the greater glory. The ZOG!

1. ella says:

Robert, you do realize that every soldier that goes to a fighting front is considered ‘expendable’ don’t you. Just because you are of a given race or religion does not mean your life is exempt from daily stress or reaching the termination point of physical life. Many Jews made it to America from Germany, and so did many Germans. They were all trying to escape the sadistic madness.

10. Robert Milnes says:

Although I must admit the jews took a hit in Heimietown on 9/11.

1. Robert Milnes says:

But there are so many there, it is hard to miss. Evidently it was decided by The Zog to proceed despite the expected jewish and first responder casualties. The ZOG MUST have known e.g. if the buildings fall as wanted and expected, a LOT of jews and first responders WOULD get killed.

11. ella says:

Here is that article Frank, that concerns Africans do not consider themselves descended from simians: http://allafrica.com/stories/201509141669.html

12. ella says:

Democrats are ratcheting up the voter count again. Getting out there and signing up every illegal immigrant they can get their hands on – of course after making them Legal.

“There’s only one time when you can depend on the chronically backlogged, recklessly inefficient Department of Homeland Security to perform smoothly: election season.”

While hundreds of thousands of visa overstayers and deportation fugitives remain on the loose, federal bureaucrats at the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) are hastily recruiting tens of thousands of foreigners for the Obama administration’s new “U.S. citizenship and immigrant civic integration” campaign.