Terrorism And Man’s Best Friend: How Many Pounds Of Fear Do They Deserve?

Everyone is freaking out about the Islamic State, or ISIS, or ISIL, or Daesh, or whatever you want to call them. You know who they are: The Muslim terrorist group that gets people’s attention by killing people. Why do we give them our attention? Because we have to?

The average number of people killed in the USA by Muslim terrorists since 2001 is just 2. Two people per year. Dogs, on the other hand, kill 31 people in the USA every year – and people call them “Man’s Best Friend”. That makes Islamic State terrorists about 1/13th the size of your average dog, in terms of a reasonable fear factor. They’re pipsqueaks.

They’re not going to get you. You’re safe. You don’t have to be afraid. So, can we please stop freaking out about Islamic terrorists?

They don’t deserve the amount of attention we’re giving them.

Dogs and Terrorists: The Weight Of Fear by Irregular Times

32 thoughts on “Terrorism And Man’s Best Friend: How Many Pounds Of Fear Do They Deserve?”

1. John says:

I know for myself at least that my fear or concerns regarding these Muslim extremists is not what they have done to date. My concern stems from the fact that because this country has become a country driven by political correctness that we have allowed many more of these”terrorist minded” people to come integrate themselves into our communities and that these current shootings are bit a precursor to an eventual mass attack by Islamic extremists that are already here. With today’s technology, add a large group of like-minded individuals, there is really no way to be able to guarantee that a mass terror attack isn’t on the horizon. Especially due to the fact that our liberal left wing regime currently in the white house has an anti gun ownership agenda that a large terrorist attack would only play right into their plans to steal our right to bear arms from us by declaring martial law once the attacks take place. So I don’t really see them protecting us like they should. Anyway what I’m trying to say is “yes” we DO need to start taking this threat more seriously. Better to address it now then after the deed is done. And it will be done

Well, look who knows the future. Do they have flying cars there, John? Say, I’ve got some questions about investments I’d like you to answer.

Riddle me this, John: If the “liberal left wing regime currently in the white house” really has an anti gun ownership agenda, how come, with just one year left in its term, has it failed to force a single gun out of the hands of American gun lovers?

Yes, you say, we need to take this terrible threat that takes TWO lives out of 322 million every year, and allow it to control our foreign policy and wreck our system of civil liberties.

Don’t you know that’s the knee-jerk reaction that these Islamic State pipsqueaks want you to take?

They want us to destroy our own democracy for them. Why are you cooperating?

1. Jon sanders says:

I could not agree more! The amount of free publicity these folks are getting is playing right into their hands. Foxnews has kept this latest event front and center on its home page for a number of days, feeding fear, while other media outlets have treated the shooting with decreasing emphasis. Just measure other daily violent activity in the US against with what terrorists have accomplished. There is virtually no coverage of daily gun deaths in the media.

2. John says:

liberal democrats are doing a fine job of destroying this country J. They don’t need any help from anybody. And if your really going to sit there and deny that the lefties aren’t trying their hardest to remove the second amendment then you are in a sorry stare of affairs. No, I don’t know the future but I can add 2 & 2 together and it’s a proven fact that these Muslim extremist scumbags will stop at nothing to destroy the western world, or anybody who doesn’t believe in the raping, murdering, scumbag god Muhammad. The majority of the people in this country are sick and tired of our politicians and their lack of concern in regards to the condition of THE people of this country. They are all puppets for the corporate shadow government that is really ruining this country. And you know how I know this? LOOK AT TRUMPS NUMBERS!!! No more need be said. Don’t worry when the S.H.T.F. You can a neighbors house and beg them to protect you with their guns. Oh, I almost forgot… How is the inquiry going for your application to host a Muslim family (or more) from Syria? LOL

2. Jon sanders says:

3. Leroy says:

“Especially due to the fact that our liberal left wing regime currently in the white house has an anti gun ownership agenda…”

And just HOW – without a Constitutional Amendment addition – can this left wing regime do ANY regarding control in light of the Supreme Court’s 2008 Heller Decision and 2010 Macdonald Decision?

You are familiar with those cases and resulting Decisions, right? That those decision became The Law of the Land? That no regime, left wing or otherwise, can take any gun control actions without a new Constitutional Amendment to override the Second Amendment – and since it is a difficult process and requires a Super Majority of Congress and a Super Majority of the State’s, that ain’t going to happen.

Funny that the NRA and their allies (who know these Laws of the Land) NEVER bring them up – reduces their donations that come in from all their “fear mongering”.

1. Leroy says:

“States”…. not “State’s”

2. John says:

Ummmm yeah it can happen if martial law is invoked.

4. Leroy says:

I agree with the philosophy of reducing the media exposure and fear-mongering tactics by the media and public figures (of all types), but I also believe that in the real world of geo-politics that they cannot simply be ignored.

5. Robert Milnes says:

Peckerwood, right, ISIS is little terroristic compared to…ISRAHELL.
    You clueless moron, The ZOG is WAY more powerful-in the U.S. than ISIS.
    I hope you get into some sort of jam and your lawyer and/or your judge is jewish!
    Don’t be surprised if you LOSE!

6. Mark says:

Here’s a web site you might be interested in reviewing:

91 terrorist (or potential terrorist) incidents are listed since 2000.
    20 (if you include the San Bernardino incident) were committed by Islamic extremists. Except for the 9/11/2001 attacks, they killed 53 people.
    8 incidents (including the Colorado Planned Parenthood shooting) were committed by right-wing, conservative religious people resulting in 30 deaths.
    4 left-wing terrorists struck leaving 2 dead.
    11 times in 2002 the DC Belt-way shooter struck and killed 13 people.
    11 incidents, usually directed at the US government resulted in 24 deaths. Motive for the perpetrators was not listed.
    37 potential attacks were thwarted by security forces. The arrested individuals were not identified as to affiliation (Islamic, right, or left).

In conclusion, Islamic terrorists account for a minority of all terrorist plots and attacks. Except for the 9/11 attacks, they have killed no more people than other terrorists.

1. John says:

Oh ok! Man I’m glad you cleared that up for us. Because that information really makes what’s going on seem small and insignificant. Man do i feel so much better! Why are you trying to minimize what these Muslim extremists are doing? Would you be doing the same if it was a group of Americans and the government wanted to raid their land and kill them? It’s pretty sad that there are Americans that feel the need to represent and support a group of people that have openly called for the destruction of our country and way of life, but when Americans revolt against our own government tyranny you stay quiet… Sad

Why are you trying to maximize and puff up the ego and public relations machines of terrorists, John?

It’s pretty sad that there are Americans that feel the need to do the work of terrorists by freaking people out in exactly the way that terrorists want… Sad. ๐Ÿ™

John, how could I minimize 2 deaths per year in a nation of over 322 million people? By saying that it was just 1 death per year?

This paranoia about terrorism in the United States is out of hand, and we’re calling your bluff.

3. Jon sanders says:

John is a frequent contributor here, always saying the same thing: a variation of we should be afraid, very afraid. He never comments on the statistics supporting a different view and always relates how the current administration is responsible for all of this. I am starting to believe he is a Jihadist plant because every point he makes supports their major aim of invoking nationwide fear.I cannot remember the last time I have been a victim of terrorism. Maybe never?

1. John says:

Stats? You want some stats? Here you go:
          How many Muslims are there in the United States?

According to our best estimate, Muslims make up just less than 1% of the U.S. adult population. Pew Research Centerโ€™s 2014 Religious Landscape Study (conducted in English and Spanish) found that 0.9% of U.S. adults identify as Muslims. A 2011 survey of Muslim Americans, which was conducted in English as well as Arabic, Farsi and Urdu, estimated that there were 1.8 million Muslim adults (and 2.75 million Muslims of all ages) in the country. That survey also found that a majority of U.S. Muslims (63%) are immigrants.

Our demographic projections estimate that Muslims will make up 2.1% of the U.S. population by the year 2050, surpassing people who identify as Jewish on the basis of religion as the second-largest faith group in the country (not including people who say they have no religion).

A recent Pew Research Center report estimated that the Muslim share of immigrants granted permanent residency status (green cards) increased from about 5% in 1992 to roughly 10% in 2012, representing about 100,000 immigrants in that year.

What do you see in these stats? I see a problem that’s small and CONTROLLABLE at this point. I agree that right now, the amount of possible radical Islamic supporters is small in America. But I also do not foresee a major cultural shift taking place with the Muslim community anytime in the near future. Not unless their Koran magically gets rewritten. So that being the case what makes more sense to you geniuses.

1) sit back and continue to minimize and ignore the “small” number of Muslim attacks on western civilization. Then once the number of radicals living in America has grown to the point that they feel they can complete their PUBLICLY PROFESSED JIHAD then they attack us from the inside because idiots like you want to welcome them into this county.

2) we pull the reigns in NOW while it’s still manageable?

Hmmmmm this is a tough one for you huh guys?

According to their own doctrine this religion/political system is COMMANDED to either convert everybody or kill them by the sword if they don’t. I don’t know about you but for my children’s and grandchildrens sake I would rather address the issue now. It’s called FORESIGHT. That is why they made it very clear in the constitution that in a situation where it is known that a certain people’s may want to harm America that we have the right to restrict them them from entering our country. Thank God our forefathers had the intelligence and foresight to include the option. And thank God you weren’t involved.

If you judge the morality of all Muslims by a passage in the Koran, clearly it’s OK to judge the morality of all Christians by a passage in the Bible. There are multiple passages in the Bible that command believers to kill every last man, woman and child of a tribe that offends the deity Yahweh. Clearly then, by your standard, all Christians must be purged from our land. Why do you hate Christians so much, John?

2. John says:

Your funny. I guess it’s only wrong to make anybody else BUT Christians out to be the bad guys huh? You seem to have nothing but animosity towards Christians. Maybe you hope the Muslims will eventually take over as the primary religion in the world? Or maybe you just don’t like people who believe in Jesus. I’m not really sure what your viewpoint is and don’t really care but if your going to engage in a religious debate you may want to brush up on your head knowledge before you begin and make yourself look stupid. You must be reading a different version of the bible than I read because your comment makes no sense whatsoever. Since your so knowledgeable about the scriptures why don’t you tell us where in the bible that God or Jesus gave an open ended command for Christians to kill anyone who is not Christian our who will not convert? Last time I read the bible I seem to remember Jesus saying the exact opposite. If you are referring to God commanding the Israelites to kill in the old testament that occurred 3000+ years ago then your statement is again- pointless, and ignorant at best. Sorry your going to have to come with a better comparison than that.

No sense of irony, John, and no consistency either.

4. John says:

It’s only “ironic” because you got called out on your statement. And once again your “inconsistent” comment holds no merit. Where’s the scriptures in the bible I asked about? Instead of coming back with weak put downs let’s try to stay on topic ok?

You’re the Christian, John. Surely you know the multiple passages (to which Jon Sanders refers). If you need my help with your holy text, though, just let me know and I’ll cite some verses for you.

If you’d like me to be literal, well, all right. The entire point of my comment is not to suggest that we exclude Christians from this country, of course. It is to point out that the position you hold has consequences that both of us can agree would be absurd. This would be a good reason to reconsider your position. It’s just more boring to put it that way.

6. Jon sanders says:

Take a closer look at Jim Cook’s comment. The Christian religion contains a group of people who take ALL of the Bible literally. Passages in Deuteronomy and Numbers reference God’s command to eliminate whole sections of people – presumably people God created in his own image to start with – that did not believe correctly. That appeared to be their only shortcoming. His point was that the Muslems have not cornered the market on genocide. BTW, there is no need to get personal, which marks the commenter with the dreaded Internet Troll label.

7. John says:

Hopefully your referring to Jon S. Comment about me being a “Islamic plant” when speaking about making personal comments. My viewpoint differs from the majority of people in this blog but I don’t normally make personal comments towards anybody. It’s just funny to me when I make a valid point how people’s responses corrode down to personal insults towards me. And as far as your comment about God giving the “Ok” to kill entire races of people off the face of the earth I would say this: the Christian bible has TWO TESTAMENTS. The old testament, and THE NEW TESTAMENT. Now I don’t consider myself to be a scholar, but if the Koran had two testaments – an old one, and a new one – I would probably take whatever the new one had to say over the old one. So if the verse I referred to that’s states that everyone who is not Muslim must convert or be killed was in the OLD TESTAMENT of the Koran, and if in the New testament of the Koran Allah had come to earth as a man and taught an ENTIRELY NEW DOCTRINE OF LOVE I think I probably would not be bringing up the part of the OLD TESTAMENT that didn’t apply anymore. But that’s just me of coarse and like I said- im no scholar!

So before you make blanket statements about all Muslims based on a limited section of the Koran, John, perhaps you might want to study the Koran. Or if, as you say, you aren’t inclined to study the Koran, perhaps you should stop using it as a blunt instrument to condemn all Muslims, of which there are billions.

P.S. Book of Revelation

John, if you think we need to freak out because a group might reach 2 percent of the population decades from now, I think you might have an over-reactive fear reflex. Time for some deep breathing exercises, John.

10. John says:

Obviously you fall into the option #1 category. ๐Ÿ™‚

11. Jon sanders says:

And of the potential 2%, what would be the anticipated sub-percentage that would turn out to be Jihadists dedicated to the downfall of our country. Relatively small, I would imagine. It’s not just violent Muslims that want to spread fear through violent acts. I do not recall that the fellow that attacked a Planned Parenthood facility was Muslim, let alone most of the perps that have shot up schools and theaters. I cannot recall what Tim McVeigh esposed, but I doubt it was centered in Muslim theology.

12. John says:

Public Law 414 โ€“ June 27, 1952 |
            The Post & Email

As soon as our current president is removed from office, hopefully we will start to acknowledge the laws governing this country that are currently being blatantly violated. . There is really no argument to be had here about wether or not we should allow these people into our country. The decision had already been made and ruled into law.

7. HareTrinity says:

Apparently 6 Americans have been shot (with their own guns) by their dogs in the last 5 years. Where’s the War on Terrier?

(Yes, the pun was called for!)

Hi, HT!

2. John says:

Now that was funny!

3. Peregrin Wood says:

The War on Terrier. That’s something to work with!