“I am convinced that if this president could confiscate every gun in this country, he would.” — Marco Rubio, GOP Presidential Debate, January 14 2016

How’s Barack Obama’s plan to “confiscate every gun in this country” coming along? Let’s take a look at the volume of National Instant Criminal Background Checks, performed since 1998 by gun dealers (formally, federal firearms licensees) whenever a gun sale is being rung up. Although it is not a perfect count of all gun sales in the country, since private within-state sales are not included, it is a good indication of the overall volume of gun sales.

Barack Obama took office as President of the United States in January of 2009. What’s the trend since that time? Federal records reveal

Annual Gun Sales Background Checks, 2000 to 2015

Marco Rubio can’t be definitively proven wrong about what President Obama might hypothetically like to do in a fictional world that is not this one, but in the actual world that we’re living in, guns are not being removed from the United States. Since Barack Obama became President of the United States, people have been buying guns more than ever before. The take-your-guns-away line offered by Republican candidate Marco Rubio simply doesn’t match actual trends.

10 thoughts on “Fact Check: Barack Obama has a Funny Way of Showing Desire to “Confiscate Every Gun in this Country””

1. John says:

I’m not quite sure I see the point of your post today. I mean, if gun sales increased that much during Obama’s presidency wouldn’t it stand to reason that people’s security has been threatened? Now I know that you guys in here are all about numbers, stats, and links to back up specific claims, and I’m all for it as well. That is until we enter into fringe theories, and even conspiracy theories. There are no “valid” polls or statistics for these types of things. So I am well aware of the fact that you will probably totally discount my post here today. Never the less, I am a firm believer in what are known to Truthers as FALSE FLAGS. I believe that the government is entirely capable, and willing to use staged or mock events to push a particular agenda forward. Let me give you an example. The Pearl harbor attack by the Japanese, as it turns out, was not a surprise attack as the American public was led to believe. But the United States military was fully aware of not only the intent of the Japanese militaries intent to attack, but also the approximate time of said attack, and approximate number of incoming hostiles!!! This information is easily confirmed by doing simple research on the internet today. Why would they do such a thing? I’m sure your all smart enough to figure that one out. They wanted to test their new toy out. Anyway, what does this have to do with what I’m referring to? Well I believe since Obama has been in office, the majority of national newsworthy stories involving gun related crimes have been exactly that- FALSE FLAGS. I’m not very intelligent, and I can even see through the sometimes blatant acting involved with these incidents. So if ignorant me can see it how many more Americans must be waking up to the fact that our government may in fact be causing or allowing these things to happen to change the collective conscience by wearing people down with event after event after event! Maybe it’s having the reverse effect and is causing Americans to stock up. Anyway, I give a resounding YES to the fact that Obama would love to disarm United States citizens if afforded the opportunity. I have no doubt about this. But that is just my opinion.

But that disarming has not happened. If there is a false flag conspiracy by the Obama administration to disarm Americans, there’s only a few months left in the term for this to occur, right?

1. Educated Somali says:

This conspiracy is purposely fueled by the gun lobby (NRA) and their political backers (the GOP).
        Here’s one scenario:

*NRA contributes thousands of dollars to Rubio campaign*

Rubio: The BLACK man wants to TAKE your guns!!!!! How are you supposed to fend off all those evil minorities waiting to rape and rob you!!!!!!

Old/Easily Scared/Overwhelmingly White Americans: I KNEW IT!!! *proceeds to buy wheelbarrow full of guns*
        Repeat ad nauseum.

It’s a catch 22 of ignorance and greed.

John, how can you have no doubt about something that is just your opinion?

If it’s just your opinion, then that means you don’t have any evidence that your opinion is accurate.

Wouldn’t it be more reasonable to state that you SUSPECT that Barack Obama would love to take guns away from every American civilian, IN SPITE of the fact that he has not even attempted to do any such thing?

As for my part, I suspect that you are right to say that Americans who are buying guns are doing so because of their insecurities. I suspect that we differ about the nature of those insecurities.

2. Al Hopfmann says:

Only a fool misses the point that Obama wants weapons of any kind to be possessed only by government. Just like other statists, he does not want individuals to be able to protect themselves from harmful criminals or evil governments. He wants a paternalistic government to be the only means of security for individuals. That is naïve or evil.

Which is why guns are ever more in the hands of the American people.

Mr. Hopfmann, in all my life, I have never met anybody who needed a gun to protect themselves from harmful criminals or evil governments.

There much better tools for protection than guns.

Why all the focus on guns, when they really don’t work very well, and end up creating new risks for the people around them?

Hey, if you’ve got a weird obsession with holding a gun, I guess that’s your right, but don’t try to tell me that a gun is s most effective means of establishing personal security. It just isn’t.

3. Frank says:

Appalled by the way that people like you accept the fact that President, some Senators and Congressmen openly manifested their dislike for one of the amendments of the US Constitution and it’s perfectly acceptable to you. If not in “action”, the simple “intent” to go around it and do whatever they can to render a piece of the Constitution ineffective constitutes per se a problem!!! Each one of these idiots SWORE to defend and UPHOLD the Constitution of the United States, didn’t they? But what does a “oath” mean to a liberal or a Rino? Don’t worry the next republican President will fix this shit…or it will be fixed by anther civil war.

Fix what? Fix the fact that under Obama, gun ownership is more voluminous than ever?

What needs to be fixed? An “intent” to slightly tweak already existing regulations?

Americans DO have an intact right to bear arms, which is proven by the fact that more arms are being freely borne under Barack Obama than were borne under George W. Bush.

Given that that’s the case, how can you argue that the Second Amendment has been rendered ineffective, Frank?