The Perfect Toothbrush

Have you been looking for the perfect toothbrush?

Speaking for myself, I’ve never even thought about trying to find perfection in a toothbrush. I just want one that works for me, understanding that it’s going to need to be replaced every five or six months or so. Because I can buy a new toothbrush for $2 or so, it’s not a big deal.

The people at Quip toothbrush, however, have found some major flaws in my relationship to my toothbrush. They are seeking to sell me “The Perfect Brush” – guaranteed for life.

quip electric toothbrush

Imagine having one toothbrush for the rest of your life. How could that possibly work?

It turns out that Quip’s perfect toothbrush isn’t really perfect. It requires frequent replacement parts, in the form of new toothbrush heads shipped out every three months – more often than the typical person buys a new toothbrush.

The initial cost of the Quip toothbrush is quite high – $25. It’s an electric toothbrush, which is an extra feature – for those people whose arms are just too weak to move a toothbrush back and forth using muscle power.

Where the perfection comes in is that the Quip toothbrush owner pays $5 – or more – every three months in order to get those replacement toothbrush heads. That’s a higher cost than what people pay for entire toothbrushes that last longer than the Quip parts.

So where’s the perfection in that? It’s perfect for Quip, because it gives the company a constant stream of income for little parts that are very inexpensive to manufacture and to ship.

Quip the perfect toothbrush for someone to sell, not the perfect toothbrush for someone to own.

6 thoughts on “The Perfect Toothbrush”

1. Al Hopfmann says:

Actually, $2 is also a high price for a toothbrush. You can get them for as little as 5 for $1 at the “dollar store”. The advertised toothbrush that you are writing about is a good example of the principle that “Capitalism is the process of many salesmen voluntarily trying to sell you a surplus of things that you don’t need or want, while communism (or related crap) is the process of too many bureaucrats mandating that you stand in long lines waiting for your “fair share” of the of the scarce things that you do need.” No matter what people think about voters who far too often settle for the “lesser of two evils”, it seems that the above choice should be easy.

2. Quinton Underwood says:

The previous writers article about “The Perfect Toothbrush” really hit me with a sour note. I am in total agreeance with the previous comments. At the end of the first month you are already into this deal by thirty dollars, twenty five dollars to start and five dollars for the first months replacement. Meanwhile I pay two dollars and I am good for six months. Well what the hell, maybe 5 months and a week. How many people do these carpet baggers think they are going to skin ? ? ?

“I make a living by what I get, I make a life by what I give”

1. Dave says:

Actually, Quinton, this illustrates the beauty of free markets. Mr. A earns more money than he needs. Mr. B sells Mr. A more toothbrush than he needs. Mr. B feeds his family with Mr. A’s excess. And, Mr. A gets his teeth brushed same as if he did it a less expensive way. It’s really a good way to spread the wealth around with involving the Ministry of Toothbrushes in the gig and paying a bunch of bureaucrats the excess while getting nothing in return. At least somewhere in the exchange teeth get brushed and families get fed.

1. Dave says:

That should be “without involving” etc.

2. Peregrin Wood says:

Except that actually, most of the extra profits go to the already-wealthy investors behind Mr. B, to be placed in offshore accounts, and not to Mr. B’s family.

Your fable of bureaucrats getting rich off of regulation is kind of silly too.

1. Dave says:

Silly, perhaps. But not as silly as the fable that bureaucrats should design, manufacture and distribute their own version of the perfect toothbrush and tell Mr. A that personal decisions about toothbrushes are not in his purview.