The Other Socialist Alternative To Hillary Clinton
The presidential candidacy of Bernie Sanders is over, cooked, kaput, finished. His socialist vision for American politics went further than most people thought it ever could. In a year when Hillary Clinton was supposed to be a shoe-in for the Democratic presidential nomination, Senator Sanders forced Clinton to address the concerns of the party’s political base, instead of dismissing them as she has typically done in the past.
What are Sanders supporters to do now? Sanders himself announced yesterday that he will support Hillary Clinton in the general election, though he has yet to officially drop out of the race.
Many Sanders supporters are reluctant to give their support to Clinton, given her history of pro-war, anti-progressive policies, and her refusal to speak out against the growth of massive government surveillance of law-abiding Americans by the National Security Agency. They allow that Hillary Clinton is a better choice than Donald Trump, but that’s an extremely low bar.
There are other alternatives to Donald Trump besides Hillary Clinton. One of them is a genuine socialist. Her name is Gloria La Riva, and she is a candidate with the Peace and Freedom Party.
La Riva’s presidential campaign features a 10-point program:
1. An end to capitalism in the United States.
2. A constitutional right to a job
3. A constitutional right to free health care, free education, and affordable housing
4. Closure of all military bases outside the United States, and a return of all American soldiers to the USA
5. Opposition to police brutality and mass incarceration
6. Support of labor unions
7. Legal equality for women and free abortions on demand
8. The abolition of all anti-immigrant laws
9. Equality for people of all sexual and gender identities
10. Government seizure of Wall Street financial assets and prosecution of Wall Street financeers