The largest mass shooting in U.S. history was just perpetrated against people in a gay bar by a man who spoke of hatred against LGBT people. Those are all the words I feel like saying today about the against members of a LGBT community in Orlando. I feel the need to deviate from this man’s plan to use violence as a tool to obtain attention to air his hate more broadly.

I want to actively counter his plan by crafting a different message. I want to stand with other people to say that I value, welcome and cherish lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer and other non-cisgender people in the United States and that I honor their right to a public presence within our nation’s social, cultural, civic and political life. This is what I want to say.

It turns out I am not alone in feeling this way today. Around the nation, people are organizing vigils, demonstrations and rallies not just to mourn victims of violence but to affirm LGBTQ people, communities and voice. Here are the activist events of which I’m aware.

Florida
Orlando, Florida Rainbow Fountain, Lake EolaOrlando: #OrlandoStrong March against Violence and Bigotry, Lake Eola Park, 5 pm, Monday 6/13.

Illinois
Chicago: Community Center Vigil: “Love Wins,” 3656 N Halsted Street, 7 pm, Monday 6/13.

Maine
Bangor: Bridge Alliance is holding a vigil at 8:30 pm Monday 6/13 at Bangor City Hall

Portland: Equality Maine is organizing an event at 8:30 pm Monday 6/13. Place TBA

Maryland
Baltimore: Vigil at YNot, 4 North Ave., 7 pm, Monday 6/13.

Massachusetts
Boston: City Hall Plaza Vigil, 6 pm, Monday 6/13.

New York
Buffalo: Vigil in Niagara Square, 6-8 pm, Monday 6/13.

New York City: Vigil Outside Stonewall, 53 Christopher Street, 7-9 pm, Monday 6/13.

Syracuse: City Vigil, Syracuse City Hall, 6 pm, Monday 6/13.

North Carolina
Charlotte: Vigil at The Bar at 316, 316 Rensselaer Ave, 6:30 pm, Monday 6/13.

Durham: Vigil at the bar, 711 Rigsbee Ave, 8 pm, Monday 6/13.

Greensboro: Q-Bar Vigil, 708 W. Market St., 8:30 pm, Monday 6/13.

Greenville: Community Vigil, Five Points Plaza, 8:30 pm, Monday 6/13.

Pennsylvania
Philadelphia: Vigil of “Grief, Love, and Solidarity” from 6:30-9:30 pm at Philadelphia City Hall, Monday 6/13.

Utah
Salt Lake City: City Vigil, 451 S. State Street, 7 pm, Monday 6/13.

West Virginia
Charleston: Community Vigil, 1105 Quarrier Street, 7:30 pm, Monday 6/13.

Canada
Montreal: Vigil at Parc de l’Espoir, at Ste-Catherine and Panet Streets, 7 pm, Thursday 6/16.

UK
Glasgow stands with Pulse Orlando, George Square, G1 3 Glasgow, 5:30 – 6:30 pm, Monday 6/13.

London: Old Compton Street Vigil, 7 pm, Monday 6/13

If there’s another vigil, demonstration or rally you know of, please share a link to it in the comments below. Let’s spread the word together.

11 thoughts on “Vigils and Demonstrations Across the Country after an attack on LGBT Community in Orlando”

1. DrRGP says:

But isn’t the larger issue Islam’s condemnation of homosexuality as a sin worthy of death? This one man didn’t invent his “hatred” out of whole cloth. It was passed on to him by his religion. Don’t problems have to be dealt with at their source?

You are free to amplify a particular frame that grants attention to the killer and his acts. I choose to do otherwise.

1. Dave says:

Open sand, insert head.

Open backbone, insert spine. Open skull, insert thought independent of terrorist strategy.

2. John says:

Yep

2. John says:

Awwwwe aren’t you so cute…… Your showing your support for the LGBT community during this tragic hour……. What can we do to prevent another horrific event like this happening ever again??????? What are your words of wisdom Jim? I mean when the san Bernardino shootings happened you basically laughed them off as “Islamic shootings don’t happen enough for us to be worried about it here in America”. I think you even provided some polls supporting your claim that Muslim extremists are nothing more than a figment of the radical rights imaginations……… Man, it’s amazing what damage a figment of our imagination can cause huh- Jim? Well it doesn’t really matter. I’m just glad that you are at least acting like your bothered by this insanity that just happened in that night club. What is it exactly that has given you this ability to empathise with this particular Muslim extremist attack against America…… Huh, Jim? Is it the incredible total number of people hurt, or killed???? What is it Jim because I’m racking my brain trying to figure out why all the hub-bub from you this time around…. How come you didn’t include some encouraging words for the Muslim community in your touching memorial?????? I mean surely, that poor Muslim extremist was only reacting to the terrible treatment he has received from every American he ever came across- right JIM? I mean aren’t you the one that is a proponent of bringing THOUSANDS AND THOUSANDS of these Muslims into America to “protect them”? How many more Muslim extremist murders need to happen before the politically correct hood you wear that blinds you from reality comes off?? Huh- Jim? I’m sorry I don’t mean to come of like a jerk, and nobody likes a Mr. I TOLD YA SO kinda guy. I’m just really REALLY looking forward to hearing your reasoning for feeling sorrow about this particular murder spree….. Hmmmmm I wonder what it is…..

Well, aren’t you an ass.

Try to hold a few ideas simultaneously in your mind:

1. In the volume of their impact, these acts are an insignificant danger to the United States.

2. Terrorists who commit atrocious acts of violence want you to focus on them and give their cause attention. Which is exactly what your histrionics do.

3. The LGBT vigils in support of the rights of the victims are on the other hand the opposite of what the anti-gay terrorist is attempting to manipulate us into focusing on. I therefore am sharing information about these events as a way of countering the terrorist strategy. I am then (see Irregular Times) moving on.

1. Dave says:

Jim, what happened in Orlando is a result, not a cause. Focus on the result all you want, but it’s fruitless to ask your fellow Americans not to focus on the cause. When there is a problem, focusing on the cause is the first step toward resolving the problem. The perp of the Orlando mass killing should have been in Afghanistan, not Florida. The perps on 9/11 should have been in Yemen. The California perp should have been in Saudi Arabia where he would feel more comfortable. I know that’s unpalatable to you, and I could wish it were otherwise, but “virtue signaling” to the rest of the world how cool we are with all of this will not keep nightclubs in the U.S. safe. Lighting a candle and singing “Imagine” has so many religious overtones it’s not funny. Let’s hold a vigil and just keep believing. Are you asking your fellow Americans to get religious about this?

2. DrRGP says:

I think that it is a notable credit to Jim Cook for allowing John’s extended comment to post at this site, and then intelligently responding to it. Many editors attempt to control or at least affect the flow of information by both censoring (excluding) and “cherry picking” (including only what they like) readers’ comments.

3. John says:

I’m actually surprised Jim left my comment on as well. It may not have come across in the way I had initially intended it to. I just get so upset when PREVENTABLE tragedies like this happen. The clown (and his accomplice wife) had been on the FBI’s radar, but they had left them alone because the assumed his radical talk at the workplace could be attributed to his feeling alienated socially here in America. I know this had nothing to do with you Jim, but your perspective regarding the current Islamic threat (and it is an Islamist threat regardless of the number of Muslims that are radicalized) is at best naive and at its worst dangerous. It’s ok for us as Americans to take a step back and take a very close look at these people and how we can decipher or ascertain who amongst them is radicalized. This incident is the tip of the iceberg if we don’t enact policy now to oppose the jihad that has been declared against all of us. I think that was well proven in this latest atrocity. I apologize for coming off the way I did Jim, and I do respect you for leaving my comment up.

1. DrRGP says:

Well said, John. Many of us share your concerns.