Define the word “Trumppence”
Tuppence is for birds. Is “Trumppence” as well?
This new portmanteau will have a contested meaning in the months ahead as Donald Trump runs for President and Mike Pence acts as his running mate. So contest, contest! How would you define “Trumppence” as a word? How would you use it in a sentence?
Language lives: we define “Trumppence” by our use. So a Trumppence for your thoughts! Share your definitions in the comments below, and I’ll compile the top senses of Trumppence here,
choosing the ones I like best in edited form. Thanks.
Trump*pence [truhmp-pense]. noun.
1. The conjoining of two mid-life personal crises into a single political crisis.
2. The negative outcome, richly deserved, generated by decades of Republican obstructionism, racism, and xenophobia.
3. An antiquated coin of little or negative value; orange-copper center with a white-silver ‘vice’ (decorative, misleading additive). Common use as a reward for bad behavior. Slang: outrageous, loud, gaudy display of ignorance. “A trumppence for your emotions.” “What a trumppence!”
4. Two pennies in a pod.
5. The tendency of white male presidential candidates to obtain a disproportionate share of media coverage.
6. An attempt by a candidate to get more conservative voters to comb-over to his side.
7. A core of grey oppression wrapped in bombast.
8. A very small amount. ex. “There isn’t a Trumppence’s width of difference between Hillary Clinton’s support for the Iraq War, Mike Pence’s support for the same Iraq War, and Donald Trump’s promise to carpet bomb America’s enemies.”