The Real Meaning of Christmas, Irregularly

What’s the real meaning of Christmas?

Well, see, there’s a baby, and sin, and redemption through a bloody crucifixion, and magic kings, and a comet in the sky, and somehow, it’s all about… well, we’re bad people, so the baby needed to get nailed to…

A father and son fumble toward the truth. The meaning of Christmas practically jingles. It’s a holiday of 1 + banana = schizophrenia.

Are you in sin and error pining?

11 thoughts on “The Real Meaning of Christmas, Irregularly”

1. Al Hopfmann says:

Good atheists don’t mock Christmas and Christians. They simply reject it rationally or because of not understanding infinity. Good atheists take a libertarian approach to allowing other people to believe differently than they do. Good atheists don’t use the force of government to restrict the liberty of decent Theists of any type. They are willing to smile and graciously accept a greeting of “Merry Christmas”.

Oh, are we not good atheists, Master? I am so sorry Master, for not being a good atheist, and I promise to give that F.G. Fitzer a hard whipping to teach him a lesson!

From now on I promise, Master, that I’m going to be a good atheist and do what to Christian Masters tell me I must do to be a good atheist. Thank you for the instructions, Master. I’m going to write them down in the big fat notebook that I have that’s labeled, “INSTRUCTIONS CHRISTIANS GIVE ME ABOUT HOW TO BE A GOOD ATHEIST”. It will be right next to my most recent entry: “Vote to elect Roy Moore the child molester to the United States Senate”.

I hope you have a good day worshiping the baby who was nailed to a post so that we don’t have to worry about being bad people! Have a good time understanding infinity!

1. Al Hopfmann says:

Good atheists don’t mock Christianity. Like good Christians and Jews, they obey the two universal Commandments: “Thou shall not murder.” and “Thou shall not steal”. People who violate those two Commandments cannot be good “anything”. whether religious of atheist.

An interesting interpretation of the First Commandment: “Thou shall have no other god before thee.” , is that Moses (and team?) understood that worship of the state (essentially unlimited government) was the main reason for his peoples’ problems. The vast majority of Egyptians at that time worshipped the state instead of God, and that allowed the evil leaders to repeatedly violate the two universal Commandments, thereby leading to the persecution of “the People of Israel”. The remedy offered by Moses (and team?) was to not let government be elevated to the status of a god. That is still a good caution for us today.

Please don’t whip Mr. Fitzer. And I hope that you had a Merry Christmas.

1. F.G. Fitzer says:

Who gives you the authority to tell everybody what a good atheist is?

Who are you to preach at everyone what universal morality is?

When you say things like “the majority of Egyptians at that time worshipped the state instead of God” you indicate a tremendously shallow knowledge of the politics and culture of the ancient Egyptians, and at the same time you manage to get it deeply wrong.

Your attitude in these comments merely illustrates how politicized “Merry Christmas” has become. You use it like a verbal bludgeon, with a thin pretense of well-wishing covering over a spiked mace to warn us that atheists had better get back in their place and shut up, or else.

1. Al Hopfmann says:

Your claim that I am claiming “authority” to tell you what to do is sophism at best. Unlike the unlimited government advocates, I do not claim or want authority over anyone.
          Your inference that I don’t have a naturally existing right to preach is indicative of the mindset of people who want government to play god over the lives of individuals.
          If you don’t believe that ancient Egyptian society was under dictatorial control by unlimited government, consider what would have happened to any individual who “blasphemed” the Pharaoh or other “people of authority”.
          I still don’t want Mr. Clifford to whip you. And I hope you had a Merry Christmas.

1. Kevin says:

You confuse our government (of the people, for the people etc. Remember?) with your distorted view of government. You wish to serve a myth and those that would control you with lack of reason, have at it “liberty” boy.

Sophism? What’s that? “Soph” means wisdom – as in “philo-sophy” the love of wisdom.

So, you agree that what we’re saying here about your illegitimate claim to authority is wise.

Thank you!

3. Al Hopfmann says:

The response which claimed that my use of the word “sophism” was actually a compliment, in spite of it clearly not being that, is itself an example of sophism. We all make mistakes, and for trivial ones like that a person should not be harshly criticized, but just like the wisdom in the saying “Plug in brain before turning on mouth”, it is also a good idea to check a reputable dictionary if in doubt about the meaning of a word before using it in a (hopefully) scholarly message.
            For any readers who don’t want to be bothered looking up the definition of “sophism”, it is most reliably defined as “a fallacious argument, basically one used deliberately to deceive”.

3. Kevin says:

Happy winter solstice to you!

1. Al Hopfmann says:

And Happy Winter Solstice to you, too. That is actually a more scientifically rational holiday than “New Year’s Day”.
      And, BTW, what is your (hopefully not “distorted”) view of government? I suspect that many (are there?) other readers here would be interested.

1. Kevin says:

I’m sure it can’t compare with your version liberty boy.