This morning, J. Clifford noted the popularity of conservative messages in political merchandise at the print-on-demand service CafePress. The data J. Clifford looked at included all searches people made for political items, regardless of their ideology. But here at Irregular Times, we don’t sell stickers and shirts with any old ideology; the political gear we sell is designed to pay the costs of maintaining our decidedly liberal website expressing our decidedly liberal values. If we look at the nature of the stickers and such that Irregular Times has been selling, we can answer a different question: within liberal America, what messages are most popular?
This morning, I took a particular look at our year-to-date sales of signs, buttons and bumper stickers related to the 2012 congressional campaigns for the House and Senate. Only 14.9% of the items we sold expressed opposition to conservative members of Congress (and the most popular target of buyers’ ire has been ultra-conservative Ohio representative Mike Turner). The other 85.1% of stickers and signs we sold expressed support for liberal incumbents and congressional candidates — but these sales weren’t evenly distributed among all 50 states and 435 congressional districts. One superstar in sales sticks out: a whopping 70% of all congressional campaign stickers and signs we sold expressed support for Massachusetts Senate Candidate Elizabeth Warren. Bumper stickers are strong indications of approval, since they require spending a little cash, and of commitment, because as their name suggests they stick around. Our sales stats reveal far more excitement about and commitment to Elizabeth Warren’s candidacy in Massachusetts than we’ve seen for all other liberal congressional candidates combined.