First-term Republican congressman Allen West was driven out of competition in Florida’s 22nd District earlier this year after it became clear his own constituents couldn’t stand him. After conceding Florida’s 22nd District, he ran in Florida’s 18th District. It’s just been announced that Allen West has lost there, too.
What could Allen West do to turn not one but two congressional districts against him in two short years?
Here’s a brief list of how Rep. West managed it:
- Voted for big government surveillance without a warrant or reasonable suspicion of a crime.
- Voted to let an estimated 1,000 to 2,500 Americans die every year from mercury poisoning rather than risk continued corporate profit;
- Declared that he is repelled by religious coexistence;
- Voted to let the U.S. Government imprison people forever without criminal charges;
- Voted to keep raw sewage flowing through Florida’s waterways;
- Associated himself with repellant Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney;
- Asserted that environmental destruction in the name of corporate profit is “common sense;
- Worked to bring back discrimination against gay and lesbian people in the military by reinstating Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell;
- Voted to let Big Coal corporations improperly dispose of toxic coal ash, behavior that resulted in the destruction of the town of Kingston, Tennessee and dumped a large load of toxic sludge into Lake Michigan;
- Insisted in legislation that full legal rights begin at conception, which would lead to women being brought up on murder charges for using the morning-after pill or having an abortion at 6 weeks;
- Declared it his inalienable right to use light bulbs that don’t work as well as other light bulbs;
- Voted to ban government websites from teaching children about energy efficiency;
- Referred to free speech and a free press as “pathetic”;
- Moved to restrict free speech rights by cosponsoring legislation to criminalize burning a flag;
- Voted against consequences for a President who took America to war without legally and constitutionally-required congressional approval;
- Tried to take away citizenship from babies born right here in the United States of America;
- Promised he would “curb out of control Government spending,” and then voted against $56 Billion in spending cuts;
- Voted to let the government peruse your through lists of books you’ve read without probable cause;
- Voted to renew the Patriot Act without reforms;
- Voted to push pay for American full-time construction workers below the poverty level;
… and that’s not even a complete list. Allen West represents a pro-corporate, anti-freedom, anti-people kind of conservatism that used to be politically acceptable. This year, voters in two Florida districts told Allen West that they’d had enough.