I don’t think this is what George W. Bush and Barack Obama meant by “Faith-Based Initiatives,” but it’s there nonetheless in Freedom Plaza.
As president, Barack Obama will restore the American people’s trust in their government by making government more open and transparent…. Obama will require Cabinet officials to have periodic 21st Century Fireside Chats, restore meaning to the Freedom of Information Act, and conduct regulatory agency business in public.
– Obama for America, September 22 2008
In the last month, Americans Elect has reorganized itself as a IRS Section 501(c)4 corporation. 501(c)4 corporations do not have to disclose the sources of their money, a tactical advantage but an ethical disadvantage in a democracy. But IRS Section 501(c)4 corporations must have “social welfare” as their primary purpose, and cannot have the pursuit […]
In the month of August 2008, the following were our five best-selling bumper stickers:
1. Librarians Against Palin bumper sticker 2. People With One House Against McCain bumper sticker 3. Republicans for Barack Obama bumper sticker 4. I Like Obama, But is America Ready for a President with Brains? bumper sticker 5. Hope, Not Fear: […]
Governments big and small are tracking your whereabouts, most often without a warrant, with increasing frequency, and for reasons that are unnervingly personal and political.
You may recall that last December, graduate student Christopher Soghoian caught representatives of Sprint-Nextel and Cricket on audio at a private conference for telecommunications corporations and government surveillance agencies. The […]
I’ve never written such a long headline before, but each and every element of it is crucial:
* The Department of Justice Office of the Inspector General has released a report, parts of which remain classified but parts of which have been declassified. Read it here.
* This report concludes that the FBI broke the […]
Just for kicks, here are my five political predictions for Congress in 2010:
1. The Defense of Marriage Act will not be repealed. After telling gay and lesbian Americans to wait for the passage of health care reform for the length of 2009, 2010 arrives as an election year. So “wait ’till next year” will […]